What should we do...re: neighbors...

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
Our older cat got out yesterday and we were running around and had a lot to do, so we didn't realize she didn't get put back up. I got home last night and called her for dinner. Nothing. I got worried, checked the garage, outside, everything.

DD was home and said she heard 2 girls screaming. I said, are you sure it wasn't the cat? She said no, that one was definitely saying something, and it sounded like it was behind our house.

Today, I get up, look some more and ask the neighbors. Our neighbor next door said their dog killed a cat last night, but he wasn't sure what it looked like because his step-son threw it away. The wife comes out and in a panicked voice says there was no cat, there wasn't anything. I think she is afraid we are mad at her. If the cat got in their yard, then their dog would kill it, I understand that. It is sad, because she is older, and it wasn't her fault she got locked out of the house. I am sure she was confused and ran into the wrong yard, and couldn't get away from their dog. We just want the cat back so we can bury her!

How is the best way of doing this, short of digging through their trash or starting a huge fight? The husband is a police officer, and he was adamant that the dog killed a cat, but shut up and walked away when his wife (who is really nice, usually) insisted there was no cat. I mean, I guess I can get into their trash cans, but I don't want to. I just want them to put her on our porch or something. ANYTHING, other than throwing her away. She was such a sweetheart.
sad.png
We already told the kids that the neighbor's dog killed her, because they were searching all over for her.

I just hate that they lied about it. Our animal was in their yard, we can't get mad about it, you know? I'm mad they won't give her back!

Shelly

Oh man. I'm sorry! :-(

How about something like "If you happen to find our cat (even if she's passed and it's just her body), would you please let us know or leave it on our porch? We won't be upset if something happened, we would just like to give her a proper burial."

In other words, non-accusatory, but leaving the door way open?

I, personally, wouldn't dare digging through a police mans garbage b/c I don't have the want to get arrested. ;-)

I'm so sorry about your kitty. :-(

Sounds like Mom is trying to avoid trouble. I would go over there and explain that it's not to cause trouble...what you said about not their fault the cat got out...but you'd really like to honor her by burying her.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

We had a dog get run over earlier this year and it was just dreadful. We didn't realize the gate hadn't closed completely behind us (we switched from solar to electric immediately after that) and he just decided to go for a walk. He was hit right in front of our house. The driver never stopped even though there was no way they didn't realize they hit something (busted car pieces all over the road). I am glad you don't sound bitter...I certainly am.
he.gif
At least we were able to put poor Marvin in the ground in a nice shady spot that he loved.

Quote:
I would tell them everything you just wrote here. -- That you understand if it happened, although you're sad, that you're not mad at their dog, etc, and you just want to bury the cat. If you're nice about it, people are very understanding. Maybe just talk to the husband at first, and then the wife later.

I would just explain that your children need closure and you would like to hold a ceremony for them . And we could say a prayer. We are upset but we know nobody is at fault. A letter to this affect might work better than in person.

I don't have any advice other than what others have written, but I wanted to let you know how sorry I am. :aww

When you get the opportunity, explain the situation to the husband. He seems to be honest in the situation. Just explain you wanted to see if it was your cat so you could bury it in your yard.

With the wife avoiding the situation, it may be easiest just to talk with the husband. He doesn't seem too worried about "getting in trouble" after all like you said the cat was in their yard.

I would try going over there and explaining that your cat was missing and you thought it was the one killed and you hoped to bury it.

If they/she denies it still. Just accept that your kitty is dead and no longer using it's body(wherever it may be).

I hope your neighbor's understand that you understand and you can bury your pet. Sorry Fido got a hold of it. I'm glad you understand that it is not your neighbor's or their dog's fault.

-Kim

I say she was covering with a white lie, to avoid trouble. I suggest you mention it to her in this light and let her know you are willing to let it go. Give her a chance to come clean and then actually do that - let it go.

If you live on a public street, once the trash is put out on the curb, it's considred public property, and you can go through it. That is how some people steal ID's and ruin people's credit.

I agree that you should tell them how you feel just like your post. I would do it before they really dispose of the cat. Tell them you and your family loved the cat and would like to bury her yourself. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom