What size bands?

Fancypants4569

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 10, 2008
Prineville, Oregon
Im new to banding, but with all the kids 4-H projects and my own projects it has become nessecary to start banding. I started looking into buying bands and notice the different sizes. I have Buff Orps, Black Australorps. Does anyone know what size bands I should be purchasing for these birds?

I use Kuhl colored plastic spiral leg bands. I have read of some one using nail polish on the bird’s toenails. Here is where I get my leg bands.

http://shilala.homestead.com/tags.html
"The Easy Chicken Poultry and Supply"

Kelly Chewning
1602 Salem Road
DuBois, PA 15801
(814)-583-5374
Email: [email protected]

Also, I have some friends who get there bands from Cutler’s Pheasant and Poultry Supply
http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=mmlpici05da0e2diif7vqg1te1

Guideline Chart for Bird Leg Band Sizes
No.- Band Size - Physical Size Fits
2 1/8" Canaries, day old Quail
3 5/32" Parakeet, 1-4 week old Quail, Doves, Cockatiels, Guinea keets
4 1/4" Baby Chicken, Coturnix Quail, small Pigeon, adult Bobwhite Quail
5 5/16" Pheasant hen, Tumblers, medium Pigeon, Homers, Wood Duck
6 3/8" Pheasant cocks, month old Chickens, large Pigeons, Chukar Partridge
7 7/16" Ringneck Pheasants, Mallards, Wild Ducks, Bantams, Feather Leg and Runt Pigeons
9 9/16" Wild Ducks, Pheasants, Leghorn hens, Ancona, Silkie, Gamebirds
10 5/8" Wild Turkey, Minorcas, Cross breeds, adult Guineas
11 11/16" Rock hens, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red hens, Leghorn cocks, medium Ducks: Runners, Swedish, Harlequin
12 3/4" Wild Geese, Rocks, Turkey hens, Geese, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons, larger Ducks: Pekins, Rouens, Muscovy
14 7/8" Canada Geese, Turkeys, Honkers, Jersey Giant Cocks

Last edited:
I tell ya... those plastic zip ties worked beautifully for us.

And helped us pick out names too.

We've got Righty, Lefty, Bothy and Neither.
lol.png

I used zip ties when the some of the birds were younger but checked them a lot since they grow so fast.

It differs if you buy the plastic bandettes versus the metal ones. I raise silkies and generally use the size 9 plastic bandettes. Some of the roosters have to be in a 10-11 if they are bigger boned and with more leg feathering. Now I also put the metal permanent bands on my adults. I have to jump up to a size 11 in those. Just make sure and check with the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom