What size egg can I expect?

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
My girls are about 8 months old now and all laying for awhile. My BO and RIR are still laying small eggs. My Red Stars lay a large egg ( not xlarge though ).

Will the eggs get larger as these pullets get older or is this it.

Now I am raising BR and Black Australorp. I am wondering what size the eggs will be.

Anyone know what I should be expecting?

Thanks in Advance.

My hens will be 24 weeks old soon. I only have one that lays a nice large egg... our Red Star... my kids just love the big ones. My RIR and BR are still laying small eggs. And I've yet to see anything from my EEs unless they are giving brown eggs also. With 18 hens, our biggest egg day has been 6. (twice... it also happened today)

Audrey, a BO - small brown eggs, new layer
Hiccups - black sex link - not sure if she;s laying
Roadrunner and Kojack EE's - one olive green eggs HUGE and one pale pink LARGE
Rice N Beans Silver Spangled Hamburg - small white eggs
Pot Pie Turken, small white eggs

Cordon Bleu - a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte roo

Quote:
Those are some cute chicken names!!!
lol.png

Yes the RIR will lay a larger egg than the Australorp.
THE eggs will get larger. mine took a long time for the eggs to get large . My RIR pullets were 11 months old befor they started laying the large and Jumbo eggs. I have 8 out of 12 that lay a Jumbo egg.4 lay a large egg. hope this helps.
My EE'r layed in 4 months these are my favorite

Buff Orps are SUPPOSED to lay large brown eggs. Since mine just started laying, I will give her time before I give her a talking to. They are also supposed to lay double yolkers.

By the way - Hiccups is aptly named - she is a pig and gobbles treats whole and then gets the hiccups.

Back
Top Bottom