What size feeder and waterer???

jdoane

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Western Massachusetts
My Chicks are still just 3 weeks old and in the brooder using the chick feeder and waterer but I'm looking to get some of my "Big Girl" supplies ordered. I have 5 chickens (hopefully all pullets or I will have less!) and a small coop (about 12 sq ft) with a good sized run (about 65 sq ft). I would love some advice on what size feeder and water to use (I don't mind filling daily) and also whether to use up my coop space to have it in the coop or if having food and water only in the run would work?

Additional question - If I do feed and water in the coop - does it need to be available during night time hours or do they just sleep through? Does anyone ever remove feeder and water during the night???? I know my chicks seem to eat 24/7 but not sure if that slacks off a bit when they are grown?

I have white plastic feeders and waterers that I bought at TSC. They come in more than one size, and I bought the smallest, which would work fine for you. They probably hold about a gallon each. I like them because they are easy to clean, and they do a pretty good job of keeping poop, litter, etc. out of the food and water. The feeder can be hung; the waterer can't, for some reason, so I keep it on a concrete block, which seems to be about the right height.

They won't eat or drink at night, and yes, a lot of people remove the feed at night so mice won't get into it. You can have them inside or outside. In a smaller coop like that, probably ouside will work better, but you have to be sure the feed doesn't get wet with blown in rain, or it can easily spoil and get them quite sick. I'm lazy; mine stay inside the coop all the time, but I have an oversize coop which used to hold a lot more chickens, so they are not at all deprived of floor space. Another thing is, although adult chickens don't eat at night, they are up at the crack of dawn, ready to eat and drink after fasting all night.

Last edited:
Thanks!!! I'm thinking hanging the feeder inside the coop and having the waterer outside. And maybe I'll take the food in at night to give them more room at night.

My Chicks are still just 3 weeks old and in the brooder using the chick feeder and waterer but I'm looking to get some of my "Big Girl" supplies ordered. I have 5 chickens (hopefully all pullets or I will have less!) and a small coop (about 12 sq ft) with a good sized run (about 65 sq ft). I would love some advice on what size feeder and water to use (I don't mind filling daily) and also whether to use up my coop space to have it in the coop or if having food and water only in the run would work?

Additional question - If I do feed and water in the coop - does it need to be available during night time hours or do they just sleep through? Does anyone ever remove feeder and water during the night???? I know my chicks seem to eat 24/7 but not sure if that slacks off a bit when they are grown?
You could build this setup and never have to worry about water. I put feed in and water out. The feed stays dry and they don't need water at night.

This is my feeder a 5gallon bucket with two 90degree elbows, no waste no mice can get in it, holds a month worth of food.

Back
Top Bottom