What size horse for 13yr old girl??

I do not prefer a small horse at all. I would say at least 14.2-15hh. It's the horse's knowledge and training that will matter. Get a good solid trained horse for her.

I personally prefer the draft breeds. I use to own 3 of them. I had a PMU mare, never had anyone on her back and I sat my girls on her back and she didn't do anything. Might have been different if I had of gotten on her back. But, drafts are very easy to train and they are very smart. Of course, you can not do things with a draft that you could do with a QH. So, depends on what she has in mind.

My horses are all around 14 -14.3 hands, 2 are a Quarb and one a very stocky Mustang, . I'm 5'1 . I like them because they are close to the ground, can fit in any horse trailer, can fit through and under lots of brush on the trail, less intimidating to kids and others, cost less to feed and worm, easier to reach their head etc... and as I've gotten older less distance to hit the ground from.. LOL. It all depends on what you want to do with your horse and what you are comfortable on and can afford.
big_smile.png

My friend and I were talking about this the other day. We both started out as teens on 15h -16h horses. The older we got the more 14h horses attracted us. Closer to the ground, eat less, and less animal to bath and brush and easier to tack up.
wink.png

I think it all depends on the skill of the rider and horse. My daughter was 4 years old riding a 17.2hh paint. He was a gentle giant and was built more like a TB. She started on him and rode him for more than a year, showed very successfully on him. my friend now owns him and her 9 year old daughter rides him daily. I started on a pony, I was 9 at the time, but by the time I was 13 I was riding 16hh+ horses. I have a really nice Quarter horse right now, she is my daughters, she is 14.3..just barely a horse...lol!

Like I said, it all depends on the horse. You can have a 14hh horse that is absolutely crazy in the head and a 17hh gentle giant.
wink.png

It depends on what you feel comfortable with. When I really started to ride, I rode a 14.2 hh arab. At the time I was 10 yrs old, and about 4' 9'' maybe. I am now 15 and 5' 4'' and I usually ride my American Warmblood [draft cross] who is about 17 hh. I feel extremely comfortable on him, and it feel strange on any horse smaller than him. I ride him English and jump.
Ashlyn

Thank you!!!! In riding lessons they put me on the smaller horses because lots of the ppl in my group are taller than me btw!!! ¬_¬

I don't at all think the OP is tall for her age. I was 5'9" at her age lol. Now that is tall for your age!

I would say around 15hh-15.1hh. Obviously the horse needs to have everything you want/need in a companion, and needs to suit your level of experience however I don't think you can go wrong with the 15hh-15.1hh range at all. My mum, who is the same height, feels comfortable riding anything from 14.3hh to 15.2hh

I'm 5'10" and my horse is 15.3hh-16hh

Back
Top Bottom