What size is the average Orpington egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HEChicken, Jan 18, 2010.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Ok, I've done the search and I know that Orpingtons lay "large" eggs, but my question is more specific - what would be an average size of an Orpington egg in either grams or ounces. Here's what my girl has done for me so far:

First 7 eggs weighed 40g apiece (1.4oz)
    Next 2 eggs were 44g (1.55oz)
    Last 2 days her egg was up to 48g (1.7oz)

I'm just wondering how close these are to being "full-sized". DD is keen to have her go broody and hatch out some chicks but I told her we wouldn't let her hatch out the small pullet eggs anyway, since they wouldn't give a developing chick enough room to grow. When I compared her first egg (40g) to the last of my store bought eggs (60g), there was a huge difference in size. But now that her eggs are up to 48g, there isn't such a difference, so I'm wondering - if she were to go broody tomorrow (not likely I know - this is just curiosity & hypothetical), could she successfully brood these 48g eggs, or will they make it all the way up to 60g like the store bought eggs?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I go by how they fit into egg cartons since I don't have an egg scale, so bare with me. Pullet eggs are medium, then as they progress through the laying season they get larger and finish out as large to x-large eggs. The egg shells may also change a little with color, but they should always be brown.

3. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I have one BO that started laying December 5th. I have about 8 of her eggs right now and they all weigh either 48 or 50 grams. I was surprised that they are so consistent. She did lay a double yolker right before New Year's but I didn't weigh it.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine has been laying since September, her eggs are much bigger now then when she first started. Sorry I dont weigh them, just eat them. Just give her time, they will get bigger.

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    all 4 of mine are just laying Medium size eggs but there all pretty much beginners right now.

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

My two are a little over a year old and their eggs weigh from 2.2 to 2.4 ounces, pretty large! Hope this helps! [​IMG] Genie

7. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    i dont have a scale but I knwo my BO's eggs are the same size as ex-lrg ones from the store. They are super great too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by