What size is your nest box?

TroutsChicks

Fluffy Stuffins
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
baxter Tn
I built my nest box out of white 2x4'2 and osb. Its 14x14. My 2 RIR ( 20 weeks) started to lay in the poop catcher under the roost!
barnie.gif
So I took it out. Now shes stuffed in the box and just looks miserable. I Can build another one today, only took me about 30 mins to build ( first thing i built too!! ). I was thinking double the size. Any suggestions or good sizes. Theres a liner in the bottom and pine shavings and then hay. Thanks!
caf.gif

I built mine 14 inches wide, 16 inches high, and 16 1/2 deep. That's a wierd number but it was for a fitting reason. I have 4 laying and they fit in there just fine. When they're in there the whole body fits. The beak is all you can see and it's inside the front of the nest. I don't know for sure but I think they like it kinda cozy and snug.

hmmm so 16x16 all sides equal..since im no master carpenter. KISS Keep it Simple Stupid..lol Just went out there and got two eggs out of the box! but i still need to make another cause all 16 wont be able to use just one box..

We put a lot of thought into giving them what they most desire, tupperware boxes, and they do love them. But since we rehabbed their nesting region, they also adore the corner of the coop, next to their boxes. They're cute, they go in and out of the boxes as they wait their turn for the corner nest, almost like laboring women walking the halls before going into the birthing suite:
25976_eggs_corner_of_newly_remodeled_coop.jpg

I wish you good luck with your project, its fun no matter what happens
thumbsup.gif

It sounds like your girls like the first one pretty well since they're using it.
smile.png
The 16x16x16 sounds really good. You'll probably need 4 total, so you can experiment a bit. I hope you're making the top slanted to discourage them sitting (and pooping) on the top. Have fun!

In the bottom right hand corner there's an egg! lol I love that! thats a great idea. I don't think my chickens like plastic..they have a taste for great stuff foam! lol I like that idea easier to clean. But I have to be cheap right now and use all the left over lumber and stuff from building on our bedroom that we are working on and buying bins isn't in the budget. I do have some left over ones that i could repurpose into one, but the dh is slightly addicted to putting things in them..he has the dreaded "Binittis", its very hard to cure..even the broken ones get used! I saved your picture so I can remember that i need to work him into giving me the one with the cracked bottom!

yeah, the slate..didn't so. They haven't poop'd on it till today..
smack.gif
so i need to add something to keep that from happening. I have something to put on top of it that will keep that from happening..i hope lol .cause i didn't even think about it until you said something! building on a slate on the next one will be a must..I will have to get the dh to show me how to do that.

@ 6chickens in St. Charles I absolutely love your nesting boxes!! We actually used 5 gallon buckets and they work great as well. I will have to post a pic. My husband will love the tote idea as well.
big_smile.png

@ 6chickens in St. Charles: Those plastic crates look great! I am hopefully going to need nest boxes before the end of the year, may I ask what the dimensions are of the ones you used and what you used to cut the doorways?

Back
Top Bottom