What size of feeder and waterer for 3 - 4 chickens?

dbg99

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Hi. Have just finished building my first chicken coop - now I need to know what size feeder/waterer to get? I'm planning on getting 3 or 4 red shavers? I don't want to have to go out and feed them every day so any suggestions for what sizes I should get? Also, can the chicken feed get wet (ie can I leave it outside) or does it have to be inside where the perch/nest box is? Does the same apply for water or can I leave that outside as well? Thanks for your help.
David

Food and water will keep for days if it is kept clean (food needs to be kept dry). You can leave it outside, but make sure you keep it in a water-resistant container that is also rodent proof.

I like to hang my feeder and waterer under our raised hen house. Helps keep it protected from the elements and keeps the birds from perching on top of them.

I'd get the standard smaller size, about a gallon, myself. I change the water every day, or at least two, even if it's half full. Gets slimy and a little stuff from the floor will get kicked up into it. They always run to drink fresh water when it's put out -- even though they happily drink out of yukky mud puddles.

I like to add apple cider vinegar to the water if the container is plastic; no metal containers when using ACV. I add about a 1t splash ACV to 1 gal water. Easy to dump and clean the lip, then replace waterer. It buys me a few days before needing a refill. AND NO SLIME!

Back
Top Bottom