What size of rocks do I need?

Bcmacias

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
We are new chicken owners, sharing our small backyard with 4 chickens, and we have quickly found out they love mulch! Mulch is everywhere! We are taking out the mulch and replacing with rock. I know we need larger rock. My question is how large? Will the rock in this picture work, or does it need to be more like 2”-4”? I know they can be strong, however there is grass that they can forage in...hoping when we replace the mulch with rock that they will find the grass more interesting than the rock. We’re ready to tackle the project and order the rock, I just want to make sure I pick a big enough rock. On a side note we may have to use pea gravel in a very small area, (along with larger rock in the main areas) any experience with pea gravel and chickens?

Attachments

• 21574C21-6FC0-487A-BE16-C790DFE11707.jpeg
    21574C21-6FC0-487A-BE16-C790DFE11707.jpeg
    888.4 KB · Views: 70
I suggest putting rocks 🪨 where you don’t want the chickens digging (side of house, garden area, beside the coop). But we use sand in the coop. They’re technically rocks, but they can dust bathe in it in the rain 🌧 or cold. Look up sand on marketplace or Craigslist. We got our sand 🏖 for free, and there are people out there who want to get rid of sand. 👍🏻

Is the idea that you want to keep the chickens out of certain yard areas (they DO love mulch!), so you're trying to figure out a material that's less attractive (to them)? If so, I'm wondering if you could give them their own area, instead. Maybe fence off a chicken-only area for them?

Here is the area I need to eliminate the mulch. They’re coop is a moreless a VRBO, they’re taken care of in that respect and they have access to our tiny yard, we just need to preserve our landscaping as much as possible. Here is a pic of one of the areas I am needing to do rock. I just want to make sure the rock is big enough for them not to scratch out.

Attachments

• EFB84B80-11EB-40EE-B7EB-A776AA187F44.jpeg
    EFB84B80-11EB-40EE-B7EB-A776AA187F44.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom