What size of rocks do I need?

Here is the area I need to eliminate the mulch. They’re coop is a moreless a VRBO, they’re taken care of in that respect and they have access to our tiny yard, we just need to preserve our landscaping as much as possible. Here is a pic of one of the areas I am needing to do rock. I just want to make sure the rock is big enough for them not to scratch out.
I'm not sure what the minimum would be - hopefully someone else can weigh in! Personally, I'd go pretty big - 3+ in. cobbles? - if I really wanted to keep them out of it. I've seen people using pea gravel in runs before, so I'm guessing that would be tempting fate.

I think you're going to have to go cobble, at least 3-5" size to keep chickens from moving it. Even then, I've seen my chickens move some rocks about that size with their feet. Alternatively, I'd look into a short fence across that planter bed as a deterrent.

I put down gravel the size of what's in your picture, on top of my hardware cloth skirting the perimeter of my coop....1st chance the chickens got, they spread it all out and dug right through it as if it were just mulch. Now I get to pick out rocks anytime I want to mow nearby

we just need to preserve our landscaping as much as possible.

The only way to preserve your landscaping is to either fence the chickens into where they're allowed to be or fence them out of where they're not allowed to be. :)

If those hedges are edible the chickens will walk across the rocks to eat them. If you plant flowers there they chickens will walk across the rocks to eat them. And they'll dig anywhere they can dig if they think there might be food.

I've read people have luck putting down pavers to keep chickens from digging. Not sure how you'd feel about the look of that though? Or a short picket fence along the top of that retaining wall might do it if you have fat, lazy chickens with lots of other places to dig around.

I’m going to follow this thread... I am going to put a log border around the exterior edge of my run, about 1.5-2 feet wide, and full with gravel to deter scratching... I buried their fencing more than 6 inches in the ground and they have scratched so deep in places that it is showing the bottom edge... which, on 1/4” hardware cloth, can be quite sharp.

I was thinking I’d use 2” rock, maybe with a little tamped down 5/8” minus underneath. They have so many places to dust bath while they free range, I’m annoyed they only like to do it right up against the fence 😂

We are new chicken owners, sharing our small backyard with 4 chickens, and we have quickly found out they love mulch! Mulch is everywhere! We are taking out the mulch and replacing with rock. I know we need larger rock. My question is how large? Will the rock in this picture work, or does it need to be more like 2”-4”? I know they can be strong, however there is grass that they can forage in...hoping when we replace the mulch with rock that they will find the grass more interesting than the rock. We’re ready to tackle the project and order the rock, I just want to make sure I pick a big enough rock. On a side note we may have to use pea gravel in a very small area, (along with larger rock in the main areas) any experience with pea gravel and chickens?
I'm sorry, but those peppbles aren't going to cut it. We have it around our pool and they fling it aside as easily as they can eat a ant. A barrier of some sort might be a better option, or some of that black garden anti weeding fabric to prevent them from digging. We have it under our rocks and they can't seem to dig through it.

I agree that the chickens will kick around the size stone in the photo. Pea gravel is even worse... mine delight in digging in it especially if the grass is too damp for their liking (though they do some weeding the gravel for me so I encourage it in certain areas).

You're going to need bigger rocks, and hopefully smoother ones so they don't tear up their feet.

We are new chicken owners, sharing our small backyard with 4 chickens, and we have quickly found out they love mulch! Mulch is everywhere! We are taking out the mulch and replacing with rock. I know we need larger rock. My question is how large? Will the rock in this picture work, or does it need to be more like 2”-4”? I know they can be strong, however there is grass that they can forage in...hoping when we replace the mulch with rock that they will find the grass more interesting than the rock. We’re ready to tackle the project and order the rock, I just want to make sure I pick a big enough rock. On a side note we may have to use pea gravel in a very small area, (along with larger rock in the main areas) any experience with pea gravel and chickens?
Try pine cones!!! It’s worked out fantastic!
I had the same problem trying to keep the flower beds and trees cool so switched from mulch to rock thinking that would deter them. However I didn’t get big enough rock and that turned out to be a disaster as well so the rocks went away also.
Have left it bare for the longest time but really wanted something to retain moisture before summer hits, Finally decided to try pine cones around certain areas as a test and it works! They haven’t touched any of the ares that the pine cones have been placed! We have a bunch of pines that drop their cones all the time and so now I am going to just keep gathering them. And the best part is they really look great!

Here is the area I need to eliminate the mulch. They’re coop is a moreless a VRBO, they’re taken care of in that respect and they have access to our tiny yard, we just need to preserve our landscaping as much as possible. Here is a pic of one of the areas I am needing to do rock. I just want to make sure the rock is big enough for them not to scratch out.
Hi, I am about to deal with the same issue (keeping chickens from digging in a specific area. I'm curious what kind/size of rock you got and if it was an effective deterrent.

Back
Top Bottom