What snacks do you like to feed your chickens?

Favorite treat to give your chickies

• Cabbage

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Grapes

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Strawberries

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Bread

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Watermelon rinds

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Tomatoes

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Cooked Meats

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Actual store bought Chicken Treats

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Whatever the heck is lying around after dinner

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

FluffyPuff

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
In my coop with my chicks!
What do you like to give your chickens as a special treat?
pop.gif

Go vote to find out what the most popular snack is!
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Last edited:
At times I feed my chickens most of the snacks you have on your poll. About the only exceptions are pineapple (because of the high acid content) and cooked meats (which would probably be fine as long as they are well cooked, but I've never taken any chances of inducing cannibalism by feeding them meat). My chickens especially love the pumpkin innards from Jack-O-Lanterns and watermelon, and they have great fun with a cabbage head hung by a rope but low enough that they can reach it.

Grapes and cheese are two items that you can lose a finger with my girls if you are not careful about how you hold them. After 2-3 grapes going out, they will start to just jump at your fingers so they get it first even if there's no grape there.

I have to do a finger count after offering our 9 wk olds a slice of whole wheat bread. It has to be whole wheat. Offer them white bread and they will give you a dirty look and walk away.

They also love canned corn and I give them a handful of uncooked rolled oats to peck at in the grass.

My birds pretty much get anything biodegradable, as their run is my compost pit.

As a true treat and to get them excited, I throw dog food one piece at a time.

Very entertaining to see them scramble, not to mention my poor dog, who invariably gets pecked on the head ...

Far better than anything on TV...

Mine love yogurt with whatever kitchen slop I have to get rid of. I enjoy mixing up slop....like yogurt with leftover shepherds pie, bread crusts and carrot peels....yucky but the chickens love it. Oh, and drizzle some molasses over it and they act like its a hot fudge Sundae.:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom