What started as a whim has become an obsession

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mskerrymartinez, Apr 30, 2016.

1. mskerrymartinez

mskerrymartinez New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    I stopped by the feed store down the street one Saturday. I don't really remember why. I ended up bringing home 3 of the most perfect little ladies! Ophelia (a red cross), Mathilda (a leghorn), and Gertrude (a sex legs). Unfortunately, after almost a week, I came home from work to find Gertrude dead in the bin. We stayed at two about a few weeks until, again, on a whim, I stopped by a different feed store. I picked up 2 silver lace wings (I think that's what they are called). Surprisingly, the four bonded very well. I had no issues introducing the ladies. Last Sunday I cleaned the coop, but I completely forgot to shut the top of the nesting box. My heart sank when I went to check the girls and realized there were only 3 hens left. [​IMG]
    I decided to give it one more try. Today I bought two very young brama chicks. One seems pretty strong, but the other is so small. She started getting weak and didn't seem to be thriving. I looked for help here and saw something about cleaning her little bottom with a wet cotton ball. She has perked up a bit, but I don't think she is eating or drinking much yet. I don't want to loose another life. I'm hoping to find help here.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] A whim? If you say so! lol Chickens can be become an obsession and wonderful addiction quickly, as many of us discovered. Sorry to hear about your losses so far. I think you should start a thread in the Raising Baby Chicks section with as much details and info as you can, about the little Brahma and let's see what we can do to help.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - seems like there's too many feed stores in your area! [​IMG] I think that your only solution is to move to another area, cos chickens are addictive, and you seem to be hooked already.

I hope that the members on the thread Sumi suggested can help you out.

Good luck

CT

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, glad you have joined us. So sorry about your losses.

You should also visit the Learning Center, there are a number of articles there you may find helpful.

Better luck with your remaining flock.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Welcome to BYC. Many of us here have had the same kind of luck when first starting out. Lessons learned and we start again.

Make sure your weak chick is staying warm, able to get to the food, and not being picked on by the others.And keeping her bum clean will help keep the pipes open. Feed medicated feed and add electrolytes to the water. Hopefully all she needs is just a little jump-start to get her going. However, sometimes those little ones just 'ain't right' and fail to thrive.

6. mskerrymartinez

mskerrymartinez New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    An update on the weak Brama - she didn't make it through the night. I think she was just too young. So now I'm left with one chicken in the tub alone. I have 3 others in the backyard, but this one is too young to introduce to that group yet. I know (or maybe think) that chickens are not loner beings, so I wonder if I need to go get her a nest buddy right away or can I raise her by herself for the next month until she is ready to join the other flock?

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm so sorry… You're right, chickens are much happier with a companion of their own species, so getting your lone chick a buddy is good idea.

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    for now give her a stuffed toy to cuddle with and a mirror, so she thinks there is another chick with her. That should work until you can get a buddy or two (about same age,size) for her.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by