What state, would you say, is best to own a horse in?

KY! lol. We're on a limestone base. The horses grow big and strong on our grass. We're north of the horse farms since we're hilly. But every local has one or two cool-breeds. Our next door neighbors have draft horses and the pull a covered wagon around.

Colby in KY

Lemme think having been to most of them (minus the northwest) I'd vote Kentucky as well. Great climate and land, so long as you don't want to be right in the city.

Ohio is one of the top states, for horse owners.

KY my home state gets my vote.
the state of Beautiful horses and fast Women. Or is that Fast Horses and Beautiful Women.
wink.png

I'd say much of KY, too, as a compromise between land prices, hay availability, good vet and farrier availability, etc.

NC has a lot going for it too, but I'd have to go with KY's climate over NC's.

However it depends hugely on how much of a salary you can make in a particular area. Doesn't do much good for a place to be ideal and cheap if you can't get a job
tongue.png

Pat

We are in North FL on the GA border and ride year round. Its gorgeous most of the year and you can still buy quality pasture for $12000 per acre. Less if you buy 80 acres or more at a time. There are not a lot of jobs here so it depends on what you do for a living. We have large covered arenas for rodeo, barrels, drill team, expos etc
Picture370.jpg

Picture187-2.jpg

Picture183-2.jpg

I'm not living in Florida anymore (What can I tell you--I had a senior moment or I'd never have left.
wink.png
Somebody kick me please!) but I found it a great place for horses. We had good grass, great hay, nice areas to ride (we were next to a state park!), several equine vets in the area, several qualified farriers, lots of good shows too. Oh and 2 great feed stores that had EVERYTHING in stock, or so it seemed to me. I was in Sarasota County for 40+ years.

Where I am now, the only vet is afraid of my stallion and will only come out for my mares. There isn't a farrier so I am back to doing my own trimming. Hay is rapidly becoming a headache yet again this year. Oh, and I'm STILL trying to grow pasture 4 years later.

tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom