1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What temp/humidity do you use for hatching in the Hovabator 1588?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by huckleberryfarm, Mar 15, 2011.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Going to try a new hatch. I'm about to put the eggs in lockdown (ameraucana) in the Hovabator. My last hatch was a total bust. It was my first time using this and I didn't have a way to track the humidity and temp. I will now. Just curious what most people use for humidity. I know the temperature is preset. Does anyone adjust that? Thanks!

2. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Don't waste your good eggs! Save the best ones if that hatch isn't coming out right.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I incubate at 99/100 degrees and about 30% for the first 18 days and then about 60% for the last three. That is what humidity levels I've found work best for me....what works best for you could be a bit different. That's why it's best to do some test hatches of not too special eggs until you figure out what works best for your area.

4. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    i agree totally with katy, i tried to keep it in the 30's, never higher got higher than like 38% during the first 18 days, then i went up to 60% and the 9 eggs that i had go into lockdown all hatched [​IMG] it was my first time so i only put a small amount in. good luck!!

5. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Thanks! I wish I didn't have to use it but I have too many eggs going into lockdown to leave them where they are. I need an egg buying intervention!

6. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Do you just add water during lockdown if it gets low? What if it's too high? Just open it up a little?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by