what temperature do i close my coop windows?

We're consistantly getting into the low to mid40's at night--even upper 30's but the coop windows are wide open. Will wait until after a freeze and lower daytime temperatures before I'll make any changes. Birds don't seem to mind.

Quote:
THere are a ton of amish built coops available for sale online, like this one:

http://www.amishchickencoop.com/

LOL................ I'm just not into buying anything for my birds that is 'ready-made' regardless of the religious affiliation of the craftsman; that's all. Come to think of it my birds don't have anything that I didn't make for them. Didn't mean to be offensive, just not use to 'bought' stuff (other than feed) for chickens. I still find it hilariously funny, then again I find lots of things funny nowadays. Just my eccentricity.

Quote:
THere are a ton of amish built coops available for sale online, like this one:

http://www.amishchickencoop.com/

LOL................ I'm just not into buying anything for my birds that is 'ready-made' regardless of the religious affiliation of the craftsman; that's all. Come to think of it my birds don't have anything that I didn't make for them. Didn't mean to be offensive, just not use to 'bought' stuff (other than feed) for chickens. I still find it hilariously funny, then again I find lots of things funny nowadays. Just my eccentricity.

OT - The thing I like about true amish-made wood products is their quality and craftmanship. Won't find anything like that made in China. I made friends with several amish families in PA back when I owned an auction business with my ex. To them it's not a religious affiliation; it's a way of life and I admire it.
smile.png

Quote:

OT - The thing I like about true amish-made wood products is their quality and craftmanship. Won't find anything like that made in China. I made friends with several amish families in PA back when I owned an auction business with my ex. To them it's not a religious affiliation; it's a way of life and I admire it.
smile.png

Was brought up around Amish farming families my whole life back in TN. Don't mean to disagree with you, but their religious affiliation is their way of life. Can't have one without the other. Come to think of it, I'm the same way and I don't have anything from China on my yard either. lol. Not even a chicken.

I think we've gone a bit off-topic. Perhaps we ought to steer this thread back to where it is supposed to be.

Last edited:
i am posting some pictures here to show you my setup. So, from what i am hearing, i should leave both windows open until super cold temps occur?

Do you think the roosts are high enough above the top of the open part of the window to be away from drafts?

SAM_0901.jpg

SAM_0902.jpg

SAM_0904.jpg

SAM_0903.jpg

Yeah, you can leave the windows open for quite awhile yet IMO. Like I said before, I close them at 40 degrees F or lower. The birds could handle lower, but I like to keep them comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom