What temperature should the brooder be for week old chicks?

bbecca

Songster
6 Years
May 24, 2016
Oregon
i am new to this and have read tons of books and Tryed to keep the temperature at 95 the first few days I got my day old chicks. Supposed to lower temp in 5 degree increments for the next few weeks. But I am finding it hard to keep the temp where I need it. i have had them in a brooder in side the coop from day one with a red headlamp. So my confusion is WHERE in the brooder should it be 95? do I put the thermostat near the heat lamp or on the other side where it's cooler? I have come in to check on them and sometimes the thermostat is up to 110 under the lamp, so I adjust and then as the day starts cooking down outside, I came in tonight to the temp of 83 under headlamp. I have had no signs of them being too cold or two hot, they all seem happy and healthy. So do I really need to be so exact with the temperature??

Based on what I have read, the exact temperature (under the heat source) is not as important as observing the behaviour of your chicks - if they huddle together and chirp, then they are too cold and if they stay as far away from the heat source as possible then they are too warm. Ideally a brooder should have a warm area and cooler areas. Chicks raised by a momma will snuggle under her when they feel cool,for a while, and then run around, doing chicken things until they feel the need to warm up again. This is what a brooder should aim to replicate - a place where they can warm up, and a cooler area where they can feed, explore etc.

If your chicks are not showing signs of either being cold or too warm, then all is well.

Ct

Back
Top Bottom