What' the best automatic chicken door?

mritti

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
I am ready to buy an automatic door but there are so many to choose from and many of the reviews I've read are from 2018 so wondering if there are 2019/20 models that I should look at with improvements. Our coop is enclosed in a very predator proofed run but I still would like to close it up for the nights. I'd like it to be WIFI and battery enabled since it doesn't get that much sun under the big oak. I would also love to have a feature where it could open again if one of the hens didn't get in on time. From what I have read they start to know and if the sun is down they're already in there coop. Thanks for any advice.

Cindy in PA

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Don't know about any WIFI ones. I have the advanced auto coop door that is sold at Fleming. Locally made in PA. It uses GPS coordinates so I never have to set the clock at DST & has second opening. It runs on electric or battery (It has battery backup). It can be set as a timer or works at sunrise & sunset with any amount of time before or after either. I have only the module, because I already had a homemade plexiglass door. I had only minor problems & have used it for 5 years.

kcan2

Crowing
Oct 18, 2019
MI
Thanks for asking this question as I was wondering the same thing! It's helpful to know what is proven to work from the trusted BYC experts.

BDutch

Natural
5 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
I have a chicken guard installed inside the coop. So it needed to work in a shady environment too. I can choose between lumen en timer setting.

The coop has a big window and its installed to work on daylight. I have adjusted the lumen for a darker environment to close/open and have no problems with chickens left outside.

I don’t need any wifi to check. If the batteries are getting low there is a warning light. The batteries need changing after 1.5 years or so. I can open and close the door manually if I want to.
A few months ago I had a problem because the roof was leaking and the wire got wet. After drying and a reset it works great again. Have this chicken guard 5 years now.

3mile

Chirping
May 10, 2020
North Pittsburgh
My Coop
My Coop
20200613_105554.jpg
I have been using the chicken gaurd premium for about a month now. I have it open at 6:30am and use the light sensor to close at night. No problems so far. It is on the outside of my coop but under the run roof.

ktomacie

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
I just started researching this.. So many choices and most of them cost a buttload! I have been looking into ways of constructing my own. I can't see how a time operated pulley is $100+ :eek:

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom