What the fox!

boxxofrox

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
Good morning all! I am a new chicken owner and just lost my first gal to a fox. I am looking for advice so I'll start with the back story!

We have 8 chickens that we raised; 2-3 are looking like Roos. We have a nice and secure coop and run; completely enclosed, buried wire and a 2 foot wire skirt as well. I was determined to keep them safe. We were letting them free range when we were home and this seemed to be going well and keeping them super happy to get some "free time".

Last week I let them out while I put groceries in and put my toddlers to nap. I came down to find all of them on my porch tapping the door; noticed I was missing one. Ran out frantically searching only to find a pile of feathers and nothing else. I am terrified to let them out now unless I am there.

So I came up with the best I can; I trained my Border Collie Jack to stay near them and watch, which he is more than happy to do! He loves his girls! This morning is the first day I've let them out of the run. I put them in our fenced in back yard with Jack instead of "real" free range. What else can I do? I'm a nervous wreck!

Thank you!!!

If jack stays with them they should be safe but if he doesn't their in real danger. I know because I've had fox attacks and they'll come back for more now that it knows there is easy prey. If you trust your dog to stay with them you can let them free range if not I'd keep them in

I agree with Top Rooster. But if you have any doubts about your dog I would keep them fenced. Fox are very sneaky and bold. Even if you are only 15 feet away with your back turned they can run in and snatch a chicken right out from under you. I've even read a story on here where 2 foxes worked together - one to lead off the dog and one to come in and snatch a chicken. SO FAR, the only thing I have found to be fox proof is an electric fence (knock on wood...).

I've lost 21 hens over four years. We keep our chickens in until 10:00 a.m. The attacks are happening during daylight hours. We're extending our 6' fence to 9' and laying a 24" ground fence to keep animals from digging under the fence.

I've lost about 9 in the pasts 2 to 3 years but on the third time he came I saw him and shot him, I don't know if it was illegal probobly was but their was no way I could stop him he just kept coming back he doesn't even have go inside to kill a chicken I've had some just die of heart attacks from him stocking them

Back
Top Bottom