What the heck??? I found something very odd in an egg!!! :ep

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beekissed, May 6, 2008.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Okay, folks, ya gotta tell me if this is super strange or just something that has happened to other folks....I cracked a freshly layed egg this morning and found [​IMG] [​IMG]

A VERY SMALL, BUT FULLY FORMED LIVER!!!

The egg also contained a lot of blood. Nothing else except the normal yolk and whites. I know it was a liver as I have butchered a heck of a lot of animals and am also a nurse....the durn thing was a liver!!! Tell me how THAT happened? As far as I know, the liver is not the first thing that forms on a chick but I could be wrong....anyone???? I dread to think what would happen if one of my future customers were to find something like that in one of my eggs....I would never live it down!!! GROSS! [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sounds like a meat spot to me....they kind of have the look of liver.

3. Beekissed

Meat spot???? What, pray tell, is that and what causes it? This thing even had tiny hepatic vessels......do meat spots have those?

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Occasionally you will find a meat spot, but they should be just that a spot. Happens when a small piece of meat tears off the inside of the hen and goes with the yolk as the egg forms.

The small tear is also the source of blood, but again it shouldn't be very much at all.

Matt

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Most of the time when I've found them....which isn't often...they're not too big, but there's been a couple of times they were fairly large and NOT what I like finding in my eggs!!

6. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Now that would be a sure turn off from breakfat!

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Are you sure it wasn't a fertile egg - developing embryo?

8. Beekissed

It was freshly layed today! I gather each day at 3 pm....each day I get the same amount of eggs. Trust me, if this was a developing embryo, it was doing it inside the hen! [​IMG]

9. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I candle all the eggs we sell anything out of the way I trash it.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could have been a huge meat spot, or a part of the reproductive tract.... stuff like that happens. The first thing you'll see in an embryo by eye would be the heart beating around the blood, then the limb buds and eyes forming. Liver is a bit later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by