What the heck is a showgirl?

Oh my gosh, if I had one of those I'd never put the poor thing down. I'd have to carry it around all day petting it's fuzzy little head.
love.gif

Quote:
No offense meant to the showgirl lovers out there, but I agree with equibling!!

They are only nasty looking when they aren't bred properly. People tend to think you can just throw a turken in with a silkie and get a showgirl. Thats not the case AT ALL. It takes diligent breeding for sometimes 10 or 15 generations or more. After a few generations, and the addition of a few characteristics, they can be very entertaining and asthetically pleasing.

For instance, the bearded variety looks a little more chicken like, and not so alienish.

The bowtie breaks up the nakedness of the neck, but still leaves enough to be distintive.

Quote:
Yes they are being shown at shows. They show in the AOV (All Other Varieties) Class, as a variety of Silkie. They are not recognized by the APA or ABA yet.

Yes they breed true, but you have to breed a showgirl to a silkie to keep the Silkie characteristics. If you start breeding showgirl to showgirl you end up with something that looks more like a turken.

Yes you can put them in with the normal flock. I raise my showgirls with the rest of my silkie hens. And they are in with a normal silkie Roo. That way when I set eggs I never know if its going to be a Silkie or a Showgirl. Always a surprise....

Back
Top Bottom