What the heck is this? (Gross picture warning)

sara1226

Songster
Apr 15, 2015
Northern Wisconsin
We have a 7 month old RIR who has had what seems like a sour crop.. Which I am trying to cure, but now she is pooping out some strange very hard white chunky things.

Anyone see anything like this before?

Thank you for any thoughts on this!! She has been sleeping a lot and we don't want to lose her!

She has been wormed recently, and this thing is very hard and not segmented. I should be able to easily break this apart if it was a worm... and I can't.

It looks like it could be from her repro tract. Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

I did. Her other symptoms were very watery poop and a smelly crop that wouldn't go down overnight. Vet wasn't much help other than doing a stool sample analysis to determine there was no bacteria or parasites. From my own research I concluded she has sour crop. She is on tetracycline, probiotics, and a bit of ACV. I was hesitant to do both probiotics and antibiotics at the same time, I thought they would kill each other off so to speak, but the vet said its fine. Good news is her crop was finally empty this morning and she was jumping for joy for some meal worms, bad news is she passed this weird object last night. Any thoughts on what else I can do? She has more energy today it seems.

Can you take that little bit to the vet and have them check it for bacteria? Explain that you think it's from her repro tract and ask about treating her for a repro tract infection with a better antibiotic. Vet might also want to prescribe some Meloxicam. I've a few hens do this... some passed just one piece, others passed several. All of mine responded favorably to Baytril and Meloxicam.

-Kathy

You might also wan to start weighing her daily as any weight loss will need to be dealt with.

-Kathy

I dropped it off at the vet this morning. Yes she has lost weight. What is the best way to get weight back on her? I must say, I often see your posts and how much you help people Kathy, bless your heart. Our chickens are my bed loved pets, not for dinner. So we are very attached to them. Thanks for your help!

Sara

Thanks for the kind words... Best way to get weight on them is to tube feed, which is a lot easier than people think. If you can get a tube, I can teach you. 

-Kathy

Even though she's eating on her own? She's seemed to have done a 180 since the thing she passed came out. Woke up with an empty crop, tail flying high and spunky as heck. She's non stop chirping at me and running over to the door, she wants to go join the flock.

Back
Top Bottom