What The Heck is This??!!

MesMama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Iowa
One of my hens is acting strangely, hasn't left the coop, hangs in the corner, stands funny and is all puffed out. I tossed some meal worms to her and she ate them, also saw her drink some water. When I tossed the meal worms she sort of lost her balance at first turning to get them, like she was a little wobbly? I took her off the roost to give her a look, her rear end had poop all over it, didn't see any mites etc. Wondered about egg bound? Couldn't feel an egg. But when I lifted her tail more to expose her vent (vent looked normal) I could see something sticking out, it looked like a piece of the pine shavings, but longer, about an inch and a half. I lifted it to try and remove it and it was something inside her so I pulled on it gently, not having a CLUE what I was seeing/pulling on?? I pulled out this "thing", it looks like paper rolled up? Has some blood on it. Where I have the straw is the end that was sticking out of her, the rest was inside about 5" total. It almost looks like the membrane that's inside of an egg? I don't have a clue here, but I'm concerned about her. Does anyone know what that might be that I pulled out of her? It has a paper feeling texture to it? Worm? Any help appreciated!

It really doesn't look like a worm/parasite.  Could possibly be part of a "lash egg".  Look up that term here on BYC.  Lash eggs can look all different kinds of crazy alien like things! :eek:

Ok will do! Does it make them feel icky?......course it will probably give me that answer when I read about it ;P

It depends... The hen can either absorb the egg yolk or it may cause an infection inside her. An infection is not common if it is only one egg, which allows the hen to have more time to absorb the egg.

It depends... The hen can either absorb the egg yolk or it may cause an infection inside her.  An infection is not common if it is only one egg, which allows the hen to have more time to absorb the egg.

Do I do anything or just let nature take it's course?

You can start her on antibiotics. You can get tetracycline at many of the farm supply stores. If she had an egg break she could easily develop an infection, especially if there was any shell. You would probably notice shell pieces though. I had a hen get a lash egg get stuck inside, and I cleared it, only for her to die a few weeks later due to an internal egg causing peritonitis. Peritonitis infections happen when the internal egg doesnt absorb like it should. Then again, it could be a one off thing. You should definitely watch her closely.

You can start her on antibiotics. You can get tetracycline at many of the farm supply stores. If she had an egg break she could easily develop an infection, especially if there was any shell. You would probably notice shell pieces though. I had a hen get a lash egg get stuck inside, and I cleared it, only for her to die a few weeks later due to an internal egg causing peritonitis. Peritonitis infections happen when the internal egg doesnt absorb like it should. Then again, it could be a one off thing. You should definitely watch her closely.

Thank you! So how is the antibiotic given? (sorry, noob chicken owner here)

Back
Top Bottom