What The Heck is This??!!

MesMama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Iowa
One of my hens is acting strangely, hasn't left the coop, hangs in the corner, stands funny and is all puffed out. I tossed some meal worms to her and she ate them, also saw her drink some water. When I tossed the meal worms she sort of lost her balance at first turning to get them, like she was a little wobbly? I took her off the roost to give her a look, her rear end had poop all over it, didn't see any mites etc. Wondered about egg bound? Couldn't feel an egg. But when I lifted her tail more to expose her vent (vent looked normal) I could see something sticking out, it looked like a piece of the pine shavings, but longer, about an inch and a half. I lifted it to try and remove it and it was something inside her so I pulled on it gently, not having a CLUE what I was seeing/pulling on?? I pulled out this "thing", it looks like paper rolled up? Has some blood on it. Where I have the straw is the end that was sticking out of her, the rest was inside about 5" total. It almost looks like the membrane that's inside of an egg? I don't have a clue here, but I'm concerned about her. Does anyone know what that might be that I pulled out of her? It has a paper feeling texture to it? Worm? Any help appreciated!

Yeah the bath thing-I *might* need a sedative to get that done ;o And I don't want to hurt her, you know? I might be able to catch her myself, maybe, but chasing her around the coop with the off chance I can catch her I'm afraid will stress her out more? Or she'll hurt herself trying to get away. My new chicks that I have WILL be able to be picked up to at least examine them when I need to, because this is ridiculous. I feel helpless here
sad.png

Oh and also-the thing I pulled out of her last night, if she's egg bound what do you think that might have been? Or maybe it broke in there? Would that cause pushing as well?
Many hens enjoy a warm bath. Using a finger (with a disposable glove) you can insert it 1-2 inches inside to feel for a stuck egg or leftover membrane or shell. This is a common occurrence in some hens. I probably would just give her some extra calcium in finely crushed egg shells which most hens take well, to harden her shells. In hens who have a reproductive disorder such as a defective shell gland or internal laying, this might lead to egg yolk peritonitis in the future. Baytril or enrofloxacin may be a better alternative antibiotic, but shouldn't be used in birds used for meat. Egg binding or broken eggs can be common with overly large eggs. Here is some info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959119/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/

Yeah the bath thing-I *might* need a sedative to get that done ;o And I don't want to hurt her, you know? I might be able to catch her myself, maybe, but chasing her around the coop with the off chance I can catch her I'm afraid will stress her out more? Or she'll hurt herself trying to get away. My new chicks that I have WILL be able to be picked up to at least examine them when I need to, because this is ridiculous. I feel helpless here
sad.png

Oh and also-the thing I pulled out of her last night, if she's egg bound what do you think that might have been? Or maybe it broke in there? Would that cause pushing as well?
You can also put her in a nice warm steamy bathroom. Put the kennel in a small bathroom and run a warm shower for 10 minutes or so so the bathroom is nice and warm and steamy. When I had an egg-bound hen my vet actually recommended doing that as it can also help relax the muscles.

It's given in the water. You will have to do a bit of math, but the dosages are listed for different concentrations. You probably won't want to eat eggs she lays during treatment, and don't give them to kids, as tetracycline can stain adult teeth in children. You can startvout at 800 mg if you feel she is showing signs of infection. Taper down slowly and mix fresh every morning as it looses effectiveness over time and is useless after 24 hours. So you could start at 800 mg for 2 days, then 400 for 2 days, then 200 for a week. If there is any infection that should clear it. She may have diarrhea. She will need probiotics after treatment, like yogurt, to get her digestive system on track again. If there is a local vet who will see chickens and you are still concerned, I'd take her to the vet.

Aww Mesmama so sorry. Your first task of course is to catch her...here: get a wire hanger...I know it may seem cruel, but in order to treat, sedate etc you GOT to get her:

I don't know more, I think you are getting great advice, i love the idea of the epsom salt bath and quiet dark place, warmth where you can observe...sedation if you can!

Watching and keeping fingers crossed!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Aww Mesmama so sorry. Your first task of course is to catch her...here: get a wire hanger...I know it may seem cruel, but in order to treat, sedate etc you GOT to get her:

I don't know more, I think you are getting great advice, i love the idea of the epsom salt bath and quiet dark place, warmth where you can observe...sedation if you can!

Watching and keeping fingers crossed! :hugs

Okay that guy in the video...FUNNY! I needed a chuckle this morning ;)

Seems easy enough, as long as don't break her leg ;o Of course at this point...

I've had a hen have an egg right behind a lash egg before. Sometimes when the egg breaks and it doesn't have a shell, they can't push it out. That was probably the lash egg. Maybe the heat pad in a kennel is all she will let you do. Keep it dark. Provide mash, yogurt, boiled egg yolk. Quiet is good. She will need to relax to lay an egg. Magnesium in Epsom salts can help muscles relax whereas the calcium in the food can help muscles contract.

Magnesium sulfate is absorbed super fast, but taken internally it can also cause diarrhea. You could make a warm compress with Epsom salt and apply it to her abdomen and vent. You can just set her on the compress inside the kennel. If she is as wild as it sounds like, she could hurt herself or break the egg in her oviduct struggling if force-fed anything.

Last edited:
This sounds good. Once you pull her out of the bath, make sure she stays warm. Some chickens like hair dryers, yours most likely won't. Cover her with a towel and keep her head covered while you towel her a bit, then put her back in the kennel on the heat pad. If you cover her head she may stay calmer.
Lavender shouldn't hurt her and can have a calming effect on chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom