What The Heck is This??!!

This is great news, she sounds so sweetie!!! I wouldn't venture too far from "The Now"...just enjoy the fruits of your labors!!! I know you will keep an eye on her anyway going forward...everything is working out great!! None of this is your fault, you inherited these hens, and you are taking such GOOD care of them. Love the soft clucking!! Wow!!!

Awwww, great news...so glad...so what are your thoughts re: quarantine? I wonder what your vet would suggest, or what is suggested around this forum, cause it sure sounds like it was a bacterial infection/lash egg thing....diagnosing based on her great response to the Baytril....

Well, my thoughts about quarantine...I understand the need for it with certain things definitely. I do have a concern about her getting stressed in that kennel though, I'm pretty sure that before I got them they were raised with very little human contact and so used to being together, I don't want to stress her by keeping her from them very long. But maybe it's not that big a deal? I don't know.

I've read about it being contagious, but am confused thinking it was caused by something internally wrong with the hen that makes this a chronic issue?? She definitely is better after having had the medicine so I'm not sure what to think or do at this point ;)

Whew it's been so busy this weekend. I am so glad that everything is better! My stupid turkey poult that my daughter has been messing with got really hurt, not sure about its chances. Seems like it hurt its back. I guess it will be a house turkey for now. And hatched out 20 babies! And cleaned house after my Human baby removed a poopy diaper and paraded it proudly to my hands and said here mommy! Poopy!... She got a bath... Life is busy! I will be around though, checking in.

It really doesn't look like a worm/parasite. Could possibly be part of a "lash egg". Look up that term here on BYC. Lash eggs can look all different kinds of crazy alien like things!
ep.gif

It really doesn't look like a worm/parasite.  Could possibly be part of a "lash egg".  Look up that term here on BYC.  Lash eggs can look all different kinds of crazy alien like things! :eek:

Ok will do! Does it make them feel icky?......course it will probably give me that answer when I read about it ;P

It depends... The hen can either absorb the egg yolk or it may cause an infection inside her. An infection is not common if it is only one egg, which allows the hen to have more time to absorb the egg.

Back
Top Bottom