What the Heck!? (Question + Introductions to the duckys!)

brairgirl

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
A little background (not that it is needed):

We have 3 adult drakes and 1 adult hen, I know its not the best ratio :/ But they actually leave her alone. We have 6 ducklings ranging in ages from 4-7ish weeks. 1 mallard- 7ish weeks, 1 magpie (Bananas looks like one any ways)-7ish weeks, 1 white runner mix-7ish weeks, 2 Pekins (5 weeks old and one is almost fully feathered, only has some fluff still on its head), and one Khaki Campbell (i think)- 4ish weeks. Well and a fluff plucking gosling named Blueberry.

Okay well we got back from a 2 weeks vacation, it was dark so didn't really get to see the Khaki Campbell or the others. But I went out the next day and the khaki campbell already has a drake feather! I will get a picture of it and well all the others 'cause I like taking pictures :p

But is it possible to have a 4 week old duckling already have a drake feather?

The duck in question is at the very bottom!

The Adults

Doofus: Mallard hen

Chester: Mallard/black runner mix , Chases roosters around when they try to pick fights with eachother

Avocado (AKA Ave): Blue Swedish

Bandit: Mallard/Black Swedish mix

The Ducklings

Trouble the poor plucked duck

SunFlower: Runner mix, We are pretty sure she is female

Sunshine: Not as unlucky as it's sibling

Banana: Magpie- Please correct me if I am wrong :p We also think she is a hen

Web: Crested Mallard/Rouen (Guess we will know if he/she gets bigger than Doofus) - Think this one is a girl too

Blue Berry: Fluff Plucker- African Gosling

Tootsie Roll the Duckling in Question

The drake feather

Also is he a Khaki Campbell?

Yes your right and that is a magpie. Cute babies BTW. Tootsie roll is a khaki and that doesn't look like a drake feather to me. Drake feathers are usually at the top f the tail while them feathers are towards the bottom. Sometimes when they have feathers growing in they will curl. Most ducks don't get their drake feathers until about 9 weeks when they start molting into their adult feathers.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...4696C81358974D27AB862E23EE9490D89&FORM=IQFRBA this is what a drake feather looks like I don't think at 4 weeks your seeing one yet. very pretty ducks too. and
welcome-byc.gif

Okay. I really hope the majority of these ducklings are female, that would be awesome!

That's why I was confused lol I knew they didn't get them that early but it was there...

Sunflower was supposedly a Khaki Campbell! I was like "yea right!" when I looked up pictures of khaki campbell ducklings. But she is pretty awesome looking!

But anyways thank you for answering my question! :p

Back
Top Bottom