WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!

Pics

ButtonquailGirl14

Crossing the Road
Jul 13, 2017
Northport WA
:eek::thi have a pair of male buttonquail left from my hat h, and I JUST FOUND AN EGG SITTING CLEANLY ON TOP OF TGE SAWDUST! I had a hen in there a couple months ago, but she wasn't even laying yet, and I checked the cage for eggs before I put the males in?!?! At first I thought it just was buried in the sawdust and they dug it up, but not a sign of digging, and it was sitting on top of the sawdust! They are old and both very male. Will post pics of birds.

If there's an egg, those aren't male.
It's possible one of them has a chromosome defect or other genetic quirk that causes it to appear male. How do they both act?
It's also theoretically possible that one of them is intersex. It may have both a working egg-producing structure, and a working testicle that releases enough male sex hormone for it to feather out as if it's a male.

That, or someone is pranking you.

Crack the egg open, see if it looks and smells fresh.

If there's an egg, those aren't male.
It's possible one of them has a chromosome defect or other genetic quirk that causes it to appear male. How do they both act?
It's also theoretically possible that one of them is intersex. It may have both a working egg-producing structure, and a working testicle that releases enough male sex hormone for it to feather out as if it's a male.

That, or someone is pranking you.

Crack the egg open, see if it looks and smells fresh.
I Know I am not being pranked. That is along the lines of what I was thinking... Especially since I made the newbie mistake of having no clue about the breeder I ordered eggs of eBay from, so mine are almost certainly realated... I do notice that the red breasted act dominant. I have seen him chasing my silver red breasted (Quinn).

Place it in a pan of water, if it floats it is old.
I'll try that! Does water temperature matter?

I Know I am not being pranked. That is along the lines of what I was thinking... Especially since I made the newbie mistake of having no clue about the breeder I ordered eggs of eBay from, so mine are almost certainly related... I do notice that the red breasted act dominant. I have seen him chasing my silver red breasted (Quinn).

I'll try that! Does water temperature matter?
Just use cold water right out of the spigot. If the egg is fresh, it will sink to the bottom of the pan. The older the egg is the higher it will float in the water.

Back
Top Bottom