What the HECK??

Leave your poor neighbors alone regarding their animals. Many Many horses spend their entire fancy pants lives in a 10 x 10 box stall and since the owners keep the horses in a fancy pants barn no one sqwuaks. I dont know the size of the corral but guessing it is fine.

My horses have plenty of shade available to them but spend most if not all of the 100 degree days grazing and standing in the corner in the sun.

Animals need water and feed and need to be kept away from traffic, beyond that the style of care is pretty much up to the owner.

Quote:
So it's really ok for a pony and cow to be out in 105 degree heat with no shelter from the elements? Hmm, I would have thought otherwise. No one around these parts has fancy pants. What exactly ARE fancy pants?

Quote:
So it's really ok for a pony and cow to be out in 105 degree heat with no shelter from the elements? Hmm, I would have thought otherwise. No one around these parts has fancy pants. What exactly ARE fancy pants?

Our cows usually are either under the shade trees or standing in the pond when it's hot, but not always.

Quote:

Our cows usually are either under the shade trees or standing in the pond when it's hot, but not always.

Answering an earlier question, our corral for two horses that are in it (with the gate closed) all night is 20 x 20. We bungee it open in the morning so they have the choice to be in or out. The pony/cows corral is probably 10x10 or 12 x 12. Big enough? I really don't know. Obviously if I wanted to be mean to our neighbors I would have called long ago. I just get concerned now in the heat.

I will give you my example of a fancy pants barn. Dressage barn about 5 miles from me with about 20 box stalls in it. There are turn outs and corrals but have yet to see a horse in any of them. So high dollar horses standing in a 10 by 10 box stall raises no eye brows. hmmm??

Yes I think horses and cattle are better off if they can get some shade in very hot weather, but in our country there are more horses in treeless pastures with out protection than not. It does not get hot for very long periods but we certainly see a fair number of 100 plus days. If every horse owner had to answer to some other person's view of what proper horse care was we would see a lot of busy Animal control folks that is for sure.

Quote:
This is a pony. I have shelter for my horses but I don't worry about them too much because they are Mustangs. I am concerned for them on two points - the small corral they are in 24/7 combined with lack of shelter in this heat. Like I said, around here there are no fancy pants ANYTHING. Just people doing what they can. I have held off calling about it because I like people to have a chance. I already know I will leave a note on their door first before I call anyone. However! They have the means. They just built a nice pool, put some VERY expensive fencing around the pool area, etc.

We moved in over a month ago. No greeting from them yet, the last hold outs too. I am just wondering if they speak English, to come say hi. The other neighbors speak English, some not so good, but good enough to say Hi, welcome. I am willing to bend. I am not a hard butt person.

Quote:
They're like the smarty pants, but with sequins?

I know NOTHING about horses, have never even straddled one but... y'all mentioned that 10x10 was okay for a horse... but, that ALONE right? Just the horse, cleaned out every day... and INDOORS if it's a stall...

1 This is outdoors?
2 This is same size space for this animal plus another animal?
3 Is 10x10 enough space for a cow alone, n'mind with another animal?

Those are questions I'm curious about... ones I'd want to answer before I made the decision to call. Not my call, just saying.

Each of us knows the weatehr in our own areas. If I saw an animal without available shade in the weather we are currenting trying to survive, I would be on the phone to animal control ASAP. It is one thing for an animal to CHOOSE a sunny very hot spot; it is something else entirely when the animal has no choice of shade. No different than shelter in 0 degrees and a raging snow storm.

Back
Top Bottom