What the HECK??

Quote:
They're like the smarty pants, but with sequins?

I know NOTHING about horses, have never even straddled one but... y'all mentioned that 10x10 was okay for a horse... but, that ALONE right? Just the horse, cleaned out every day... and INDOORS if it's a stall...

1 This is outdoors?
2 This is same size space for this animal plus another animal?
3 Is 10x10 enough space for a cow alone, n'mind with another animal?

Those are questions I'm curious about... ones I'd want to answer before I made the decision to call. Not my call, just saying.

Commercial horse stalls are typically 12x12, and turn out (time to spend in an open field or corral) is usual. That is per animal. Our stalls are 15x30 and designed to hold two mature horses. We have sufficient stalls that no one has two horses penned together. I do have 6 silkies (the 4 hens are sizzles) in one stall. They like the space.

So minimum you would use would be 12x12 for a single... 15x30 for two...

Of course, that's horses vs pony... and n'mind the cow... but that's neat to know.
smile.png

Quote:
We chose 20x20 so our horses would have enough room to move around, of course they are only there at night though. And today was the first day I saw the cow stand up. The past three days it has been lying down.

Quote:
I am sorry but I disagree for the most part. A 10x10 stall is fine to keep them in, but I doubt that they are confined to that stall for all their days, with a cell mate. I imagine they get out side to exercise daily.
Plus these animals have NO SHELTER AT ALL. Come on, even animals in the wild find themselves a form of shelter to protect themselves from the elements! No animal will willingly leave themselves open to all elements; well unless they are sick and dying.

I do agree that the style of care is up to the owner, that is if the owner is actually taking care of the animal. I have seen so many animals die of neglect or because people never bothered to educate themselves on how to properly take care of an animal. If the neighbor doesn't have any common sense on of her own that an animal needs at least some form of shelter, then either I think Deb needs to talk to the neighbor or call an authority figure who will talk to them about the does and don'ts.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am sorry but I disagree for the most part. A 10x10 stall is fine to keep them in, but I doubt that they are confined to that stall for all their days, with a cell mate. I imagine they get out side to exercise daily.
Plus these animals have NO SHELTER AT ALL. Come on, even animals in the wild find themselves a form of shelter to protect themselves from the elements! No animal will willingly leave themselves open to all elements; well unless they are sick and dying.

I do agree that the style of care is up to the owner, that is if the owner is actually taking care of the animal. I have seen so many animals die of neglect or because people never bothered to educate themselves on how to properly take care of an animal. If the neighbor doesn't have any common sense on of her own that an animal needs at least some form of shelter, then either I think Deb needs to talk to the neighbor or call an authority figure who will talk to them about the does and don'ts.

Thank you!!! I have been on the fence because when we moved here, we had no shelter for our horses either. However, we did purchase the corral with shelter within two weeks. Our last place had shelter. So I keep thinking, maybe they are working on it.... After this amount of time (7 weeks) maybe not.
hmm.png

It does sound like these animals would enjoy some shade...but calling animal control should be a last ditch effort. Maybe getting to know the neighbors would be the first step and maybe express your concerns? Maybe politely telling them that the animals could really use some shade in that heat? Offering to help is always a nice thing to do.

I live out in the country and am always amazed at the bare earth corrals that folks keep their horses in. They always look so sad and uncomfortable, shade or no shade....no grass on which to roll or lay, and dry hay to eat instead of succulent greens. But do I call animal control because I feel their horses look miserable in their little barren pens/corrals? Nope. Not really my business, though I would love to see that horse out in a field where it could actually live a good horse's life.

Quote:
ARGH!!! I just thought of something else too. Ken mentioned tonight he has not seen any hay in there for two days. Now I need to drive by slowly in the morning and see if there is food. Honestly, I do not view these people as irresponsible folks. They take care of their house, their yard, they vehicles. I am just wondering if they are uninformed.

Quote:
ARGH!!! I just thought of something else too. Ken mentioned tonight he has not seen any hay in there for two days. Now I need to drive by slowly in the morning and see if there is food. Honestly, I do not view these people as irresponsible folks. They take care of their house, their yard, they vehicles. I am just wondering if they are uninformed.

Maybe just go visit and see? Is that possible?

Back
Top Bottom