What the $*&^ is this?! pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ramirezframing, Mar 19, 2011.

1. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I cut this out of the throat of my roo. It was up by his wattles just under his beak. If you opened his beak you could see it in the back of his throat. He was acting fine, the only way I seen it was I got a good shot of him from the side and it looked like he had swallowed something hughe! What ever this is was like 2 to 3 golf balls in size and would not come out, like it had grown in his throat. Needless to say I very sadly put him out of his suffering, which is how I got this out. It looks yellowish on the outside and brown, pinkish in side but not like food. it squishes and looks somewhat like tissuse of some kind. Is it a tumor? If not what is it? Any help is needed, I would die if I lose more brids to whatever this is. Thanks for any help.

buttom of this pice, somewhat smooth and yellowish in color
    [​IMG]

top of where I cut it open, looks like body tissuse of some sort
    [​IMG]
    same as before but with flash on
    [​IMG]

2. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Without a histology exam under a microscope it's very hard to say exactly what that is, but I think you did the only thing you could for the bird. I lost a canary years ago to a grape sized ovarian tumor. Poor little bird's organs were being squished by that huge (for the size of the bird) growth.

3. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Have you thought about taking it into a vet and having them determine what it is? That thing looks gross and huge!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  4. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Would a regular vet look at it, I don't know of any chicken vets around? This part aint even half of what was there. Sorry about the loss of your canary.

5. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I would think that a regular vet would look at it, not sure if they can determine what it is although should be able to tell under their microscopes and tests.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My first thought was canker. Type "canker" in the search box see if it describes what you found.

7. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Thanks, it kinda sounds like it but than again it dosen't, he didn't have the signs of the others and theres no pigones around me at all. If its canker, were did it come from? I forgot to say that is roo was 9 yrs old is this means anything. Thanks again.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You might be able to contact your county extension office or vet and get info where you can send it off to be examined...like to a university vet school or some place like that. I gave my vet a poop sample and he sent it off to be examined at the University of Georgia vet school, it came back positive for E Coli. My vet charged me $50...but he new how to pack/ship it etc...which I knew nothing about. To me, it was worth the cost finding out what was wrong with my previous rooster. Good luck.

9. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Any vet could send it off to a lab that does cytology/histology. There, the tissue can be examined under a microscope to tell what kind of cells make up that mass. I'm not sure how much that would cost, but any vet should be able to send it off.

You need to put the tissue in the freezer though.

10. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Ok will move from the frig. to the freezer. Thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by