What tiller do you have and why?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by cmcanallen, Feb 5, 2013.

1. cmcanallen

cmcanallen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Hey all. I've been renting a large rear-time tiller for the past few years to till my garden. My husband just told me I could buy a tiller. The issue is that I'm a small woman with little upper body strength. I want to get a tiller that I can use instead of waiting on my husband. Also we have clay/sandy soil with invasive grasses that have to be broken up every year. Any suggestions on which tiller to buy?

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Get a rear-tine tiller as they are easier to handle. The weight of the tiller helps to keep the tines in the ground and it doesn't jump around as much as a front tine or one of those Manitis tillers. With a clay soil, you will want to go as big as you can afford - so it has the power to work that heavy soil. I just laugh every time I see a commercial for those little Mantis Tillers - unless you are tilling in potting soil, I doubt that it would do much good.
    My rear-tine tiller has a forward gear so it will power itself out to the garden and I don't have to push it. I just move the depth gauge in the back to it's travel setting and away we go. It is slow moving - so I put it in Neutral for the downhill travel and push it, but without the help fo the tiller, I cannot get it up the hill to the garage by myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by