what time do your birds roost for the night?

I keep a sunset calendar on my desktop. We go out each night about 30 minutes before sunset, let them out of their run and free range. We stay with them and in about 20 minutes they start to come back to roost, I close up the doors, put out the lights, and sing them a lullaby (not really).

But to answer your question: The time they go in to roost is just about the time on my sunset calendar.

My 3 older birds who free range go to bed around 8 and when the 12 wk old girls who are in the run see them go to bed they start going to bed also.

Mine go to bed at all different times. The youngest go in first, sometimes a couple of hours before dusk. Then the others start filtering in as the cocks are crowing. And my oldest BR will stay out til when ever she wants to and is always the last in.

Most of my birds are in before the sun sets. I also have night lights in their coops but they are in before dark.

Mine go in right before it gets dark, which surprises me because its pretty dark in their coop. However, they do hang out right outside the coop for the last 30 minutes of dusk, as if trying to linger as long as possible before going to bed.

Back
Top Bottom