What time does your flock go to sleep?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lampshadeee69, Aug 16, 2011.

1. i was cleaning the barn today, around 5:30, and all of a sudden the entire flock just went to their roosts in broad daylight. i figured they usually didnt head to sleep until the light was at more of an angle than it was at then. it isnt even sunset yet but they are probably still roosting now. it just made me curious if everyone else's flocks went to bed at similar times. Sunrise today was 6 AM exactly and sunset is 7:50 PM (3 minutes from now). Im sure they are all fine and not sick because they turn in early, but i do wanna know if everyone else has chickens that go to bed so early.

2. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    My girls are on the roosts somewhere between 7 and 715 pm.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Mine go to roost each night shortly after sunset, which right now is 8:02.

4. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    My gals start heading in about 7:15 and their lights go out at 7:30. Lights on about 5 am. ( we have lights on a timer)

5. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    It is dusk here- I would say mid-dusk. 8:30pm and my flock is starting to walk around the coop. They just did the last spin of the yard, and are waiting to make the way in.

I don't know what time they get up- My rooster just started crowing the last few mornings- it is quite sad still... But yesterday he did wake me up with a super pathetic roo and cluck action!

6. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Everyone seems to head in around.d 7:45 here while I'm bathing and bedding the kids. It's so funny I feed the ducks bathe the kids, story time and tuck them in, then go outside gather up food troughs and waterers, lock up the coop and wish chickens goodnight, check the waterfall in the duckpond (full molt and pumps don't mix) wish the ducks a quiet night (they are my first alarm to any strange happenings in the yard at night) then feed the house animals... It's amazing that everyone is in bed and I'm still working. Oh well... They bring me joy.

7. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I have 5 tractors in the yard, they all go to bed at different times. The Cochins usually go to bed very early, about 5:30- 6:00. The turkeys go to bed when we go out and chase them in to lock them up.

8. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:That was us with the ducks, but we realized that they are happier being out all the time and they start their foghorn quack if they hear or see something and peck the patio door (my bedroom) so we let them do what they want. I don't thunk chickens would do that though.

9. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    all in by 8:35. Always first are the barnevelders then the wyandottes fallowed by the welsummers.

10. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    They just went up about 10 minutes ago..8:20pm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by