What time does your flock go to sleep?

Mine start going in around 8:00pm-in-then out-then in-then out-finally in for good. I feel like they almost wait till it's too late to see very well in the coop. I can hear them from my laundry room window, and I hear a lot of shuffling around in there-squawking and thumping sounds. I worry.
hmm.png

Mine head off at dusk, or as soon as the light starts to lower <like in bad weather>.

I see one or two every so often staying out till dark, but its rare and they are always inside the coop by full darkness.

The only time I have ever seen one of my girls out at night in the run was when she was getting ready to pass away...she was so tired and wobbly she didn't have the energy to go into the coop. We set her inside and she tottered off to the nesting boxes to sit on her golf balls and passed away that evening. She didn't seem to suffer at all...we think its how she would have wanted to go. She was a good momma.

Other than Esther, everyone else is tromping up the ramp and into bed by late sunset.

With my previous flock, the time they went to roost changed every night by about 2-3 minutes, unless it was cloudy, cold, etc. Summer solstice was the latest, at about 8:45 here in the upstate of SC. Around the winter solstice it was more like 5:45. Currently, its between 8:15 and 8:30, and its with a new flock manager running the show, and he is a little new at it.

As an aside, my coop has 2 windows on the front side that stay open from early spring through late fall, and closed mainly when the temps get pretty low. One of the funniest things I've seen is when the first cold nights arrive and those windows get closed. It changes the amount of light inside the coop, and affects how easily they can see to get up on the roost. A good rooster has it down to a science. There is always enough time to get on the roost, settle any roosting spot disputes, and calm down while there is enough light. Unfortunately, closing the windows for cold nights to early throws a rooster completely off his game. My boy Vic walked in at his usually time, clucked, poked his head out and looked up at the sky, went back in, clucked, then walked outside and stared at the sky as if to say "What the heck? Am I losing it?"

Ken

About 8:15 right now for the adults, but the young Sultans are in bed before that by 1/2 hr or so. The more populated coop has a lot of in and out and shuffling/thumping/occasional clucking/talking to each other while they get settled, and a couple of Silky stragglers that are always last in the door. They all have to get 'their spot'.

deb g

In my flock it usually depends on the age; the older girls go to bed sooner and the young ones stay up. Lately though it seems like everyone's gone to bed around 5:30 like yours.

Back
Top Bottom