What time does your flock go to sleep?

My girls go to 'bed' immediately after sunset. Right now they are on their roost at 8pm give or take no more than 5 mins. Last night was interesting, it was pouring here in Western Massachusetts but I like to let my girls out of their run every day for at least an hour before their bedtime. So, because of the rain they were mostly hanging around with me in the garage (4 out of the six were sitting on me). I noticed it was around 8pm and they had not gone to their coop which they normally do like clockwork. Then I realized it was probably because the light was on in the garage. The instant I turned the light off they immediately marched into their run, into their coop and up onto their roost. It was so funny to watch.

Start going in around 7:15 and are usually finished going in by 7:30 but sometimes there are rebels that will stay out until 7:35
wink.png

it was weird here in W Mass. the sun came out near the end of the day, and they all pecked around the run for a little while, then went to bed at 5:30 or 6 after a day of rain.
My girls go to 'bed' immediately after sunset. Right now they are on their roost at 8pm give or take no more than 5 mins. Last night was interesting, it was pouring here in Western Massachusetts but I like to let my girls out of their run every day for at least an hour before their bedtime. So, because of the rain they were mostly hanging around with me in the garage (4 out of the six were sitting on me). I noticed it was around 8pm and they had not gone to their coop which they normally do like clockwork. Then I realized it was probably because the light was on in the garage. The instant I turned the light off they immediately marched into their run, into their coop and up onto their roost. It was so funny to watch.​

My banties are up at 6:20am sharp and back in coop by 6:30pm. The rooster is in charge of this and herds the girls around. The big girls, however, (barred rock & reds) do not adhere to this schedule regardless of what the rooster thinks. They'd rather hang around in the coop till 7ish then dawdle on out into the yard and then come back at dusk around 8:30pm. This means the banties are in bed except for the rooster who's running back and forth between checking on his bantie girls and the big girls desparately trying to get the big girls to go to bed.

Entire flock starts to hop on onto their roost pole about 6:30, but they'll go back and forth from the pole to the ground for a bit, usually, and old boy Aku waits until all his ladies are up for the night before he really gets settled in and tries to get some shuteye. They're not asleep till about 8:30 though, just hanging out up there, doing the sleepy-time routine. On nasty days they roost up earlier. And some of them stay up later... the Rhode Island Red ladies have a bit of a tendency to sort of "Stay up past bed time"

I put mine into there run at around 6 or 7 not really sure when they start to go in the coop to go to roost. I know that they were all, but one, were on the roost for the night just before 8 when I went to make the last check for eggs for the day. To put them in the run all I have to do is have the pail of scratch and walk up there and they follow me every time.

my girls are still very young but I find that just as it gets dark enough to make creepy shadows in my yard, they are heading in. I guess they are just as scared of the dark as I am!

My EE & Light Brahmas are the first to go in, just about 8 pm, then the other 10 follow. All are in about 8:20. I know they will be adjusting the time, since they use to go to bed close to 9 pm mid summer.

Back
Top Bottom