What time of day are snakes most active? or most likely to eat eggs?

Well, we don't have many..... but there are others besides Garter snakes. I just can't think of what else it could have been. I searched everywhere for that chick!!!!
sad.png

LOL That's ok
tongue.png
Went out last night and this morning....... didn't see any problems or animals. I dunno
idunno.gif
I'm stumped on this missing chick... and it was my nicest laced blue chick
hit.gif
I tore everything out of the coop to make sure it didn't get pinned somewhere. So, either my two ill La Fleche's ate it! or maybe it slipped out of the pen yesterday when we were cleaning and one of the cats got it???? They usually stay away when we were out there, and two of my kids were with me...seems like we would have seen or heard something!
sad.png

Snakes are active anytime they are warm enough and hungry. Some snakes will hunt primarily in the morning and afternoon while others will hunt in the evening and through the night. King snakes, rattle snakes, and some rat snakes will hunt at night especially in very hot temperatures since they will seek a cool spot during the day and hunt while the ground is warm in the evening.

You may want to check for rats as well. I've had rats kill and take off with chicks and eggs.

Also depends on your coop compared to the outdoors. In the stable we only find snakes in the afternoon on hot days because the concrete is always cooler than outside. Sometimes the stable can be as much as 5F cooler than the outdoor air temp despite having all the doors open. On the driveway we only find snakes in the morning and evening (usually morning) during cooler weather because the sun heats it up warmer than the ground or air temp. In the shop which is a solid metal building with no insulation and a dirt floor they show up late evening to dark because it warms up during the day, stays warm through a cool evening, and then cools by morning.

If you have a game camera, put it up and you may get your answer. I had some rat poison that kept disappearing in my barn and couldn't figure out how whole chunks of bait could go missing. My cameras told the story and I found out the predator is immune to rat poison. I had it in rat bait boxes and it actually busted or chewed the bait boxes to get at the bait. I have since replaced the bait boxes and put them where only the rats can get to them. No more missing baits.
DSCF00051012 01.jpg

try to gather eggs as soon as possible. snakes cant eat eggs that arent there... but if possible get someone to catch the snake and remove it a long was a way(or kill it). if you don't move it more than a mile away it'll about beat you home:bow. Snakes are active most of the day but mostly afternoon and evening.(I:lovesnakes)

Back
Top Bottom