What time of day do your chickens lay?

By nature, Most Birds in the world lay in the morning.

Most chickens lay way before 1 pm with a certain percentage that likes to delay the process until later in the day.

Oddly enough, Some of my jersey Giants dont even think about it until well into the afternoon, but if they are happy, then Im thrilled.....

ya.gif

Last edited:
I've got RIRs and Various Rocks and they spread it out till dusk. I have gone out to lock them up at dark and the egg is still warm to the touch. None camp in the nest boxes so it is a late layer.

Ours very, sometimes there will already be a nice warm egg when we go out to do morning chores, and sometimes we wait for someone to finish when we are doing evening chores. So basically dawn to dusk.

out of my 5 chickens, I have only 1 layer. She has been laying since Dec 24th. It seems she is laying an egg every 26 hours or so. But not after 5 pm, then she lays one as soon as I go and open up the coop at 7am. So then the next day it would be around 9am or so. Maybe this will all change when the others start to lay eggs and the days get longer.

I got my chickens in the spring of 2011. Their times of laying have varied through the year. Usually it is in the late morning, but this morning i had an egg at 0630. Like i said mine have varied and it changed with the weather and change into winter too.

Personally, my hens are not morning birds! They usually lay in the afternoon, between 3-7 for me. I think this is unusual, but it depends on your hen's personal preferences.
tongue.png

Mine will lay all day long. My light comes on at 4am, I'm usually out there by 4:30 and I will have a few eggs waiting for me, then I go out again about noon if I;m not working and I have a bunch more, then about 3pm I'll have a few more, I close up the coop at 6-6:30 and there is always at least 1 or 2 more.

Back
Top Bottom