1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what time of day do your hens lay???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by al6517, Oct 22, 2008.

1. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    My chickens tend to lay very late in the day, at 8:00 am no eggs, at 11:00 a few and at 1:00-2:00pm a few more, then by 5:00 there are a bunch. they seem to lay most at between 4:00-5:00pm is this normal, and will it change as they mature.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Some of mine lay in the morning and some in the afternoon, Usally they stay the same but every once in a while they get off track !!!!

3. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    No idea, as to what's normal, but I'd guess it depends on the chicken. Only one of my 6 hens is old enough to lay, and she dissappears in her box around 10 every morning to do her laying business. I have a suspicion it might have to do with what and when I feed them. If she has a really nutritious snack first thing in the morning when I let her out, she lays like clockwork. If it rains or she is otherwise disturbed in her usual routine, its later in the day.

4. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Mostly in the morning, before lunch, but there is the odd egg later in the afternoon. I would say they are definitely all done by 3:00 or so.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

For the most part they've all layed by noon.

6. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Start at 10 and end by 3....once in awhile one lays later or a bit earlier.

7. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Well, two weeks ago, before the coyotes pillaged our flock, mine layed all day long too. First thing in the morning I might find 1 egg. By noon another 1 or 2. Then another 1 or 2 by feeding time at night. average of 4 - 5 eggs per day.

One problem I did encounter - CROWS! They can get into the coop / nest and steal my eggs. So When I am home I had to check nests frequently.

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Mine lay all day long - morning, afternoon and early evening.

9. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Mine all lay before Noon and there are a few that lay to around 4 pm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by