What time of day to the chickens lay?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I let my chickens free range from about 7am until 7pm. I don't want to go on an easter egg hunt every time I want to make an omelette. I have the nesting boxes set up in their coop but they haven't begun laying yet.. should be any time they are a little over 18 weeks I think. Will I have to worry about them laying eggs all over my property or will they know to use the boxes? Thanks

I would lock them In the run slash coop for a couple of days after they start laying so they can learn were to lay. you can also put golf balls in the nest to show them where to lay. after that you should be able to let them free range and they will come inside to lay in there nest boxes.

Eggsactly! LOL I was given a flock that had been laying a few months. They were free range and she too got sick of hunting for her eggs. In fact I was providing her with eggs, even though she had 12 hens of her own! When I got them I locked them up for a few months. However when I just recently let them out to free range again, I was happy to see that they go back in the coop to lay. The comical thing is that there 12 nesting boxes and they ALL prefer to lay in the bucket on the shelf! Oh well, makes collecting like one stop shopping!

Also as far as time I have one coop full that is done by 8 AM and the other is not done until after noon, but maybe thats because they are all waiting in line to use the bucket
lol.png

I read on a BYC thread that it takes 26 hours for an egg to be produced. And have found it to be true for the one hen I have who is laying. She lays about 2 hours later each day, until she does not lay one day. The next day she starts up early in the day and the cycle proceeds. 7 eggs over 9 days, so far. And her egg song is much louder than any rooster's crow. So I am hopeful she will not annoy the neighbors!

I have one hen that lays between 8-9 am and another that lays form noon to 1 or later. Both of these hens I don't beleive have had a " day off" yet since they started laying over 2 weeks ago. We only have 3 out of 6 hens for sure laying regularly.

The hens seem to prefer their nest boxes if they can get to them WHEN they want to lay an egg. I have a hewn that will lay her egg about 15 minutes after the coop door is opened. ( we have an antique nest box tucked under our truck's tailgate) We have another hen that lays her egg during the hottest time of day, in the community nest box. All our ladies use the nest boxes. ~ even when we try to block the boxes from use! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom