What Time/Temp to Bake Bread in Oven?

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
I'm going to be cooking 10 loaves of bread tomorrow for Christmas presents. The bread machine is going to do everything but bake the bread (well, at least 5 of them will be baked in the machine, the rest in the oven).

Anyone have any idea what temperature is needed to bake bread so that it's not crusty on the outside but somewhat moist so that it doesn't taste dry?

I'm making chocolate chip bread (it's delicious...even if you over-cook it).

The last time, I made it at 350* for 50 minutes. Came out dry and had a dark brown crust on it. Still good, but I'd like to match the awesomeness of the bread machine.

It depends on your oven, what pan your baking it in......etc.. just bake it until you can poke a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean like a cake or until it starts to pull away from the edges of the pan. I'd bake on the middle oven rack. My wife might say diffent though....

Here's something that I found on a stie "The Fresh Loaf"

Try baking at around 350-375 degrees for around 40 minutes. All ovens are different so you may or may not have to adjust the time. If you have an instant read thermometer and you are baking pan loaves, it should read 190 degrees or so in the middle of the loaf. Artisan bread should read around 205 degrees. Hope this helps you.

I do mine at 375 deg for 35 - 40mins, depending which pans I am using. After the allotted time, I take one one out, tap on the top in the center, if sounds "hollow" it's done. I haven't had a problem yet. 4 loaves at a time in a pre-heated oven all on 1 rack. Cooking time varies because the temps vary in stoves.
Kaj

I would still bake at 350 F but for less time; start checking at 40 minutes and use a toothpick stuck in the middle of the loaf. If it comes out clean with no batter sticking to it, then the loaf is done. This sounds like a quick bread? not a yeast bread? The thumping check doesn't work on quick breads.

I tap mine on top and if it sounds hollow then it is done.
Also as soon as you pull it out of the oven take a stick of cold butter and rub it over the crust of the bread. Then let cool. That has always softened up my crusts.

Back
Top Bottom