what to add to chick water

I use water without additives.  The feeds provide than enough salts and sugars.  The organic (not as in organically produced) acids such as found in vinegars and lemon juice to my knowledge provide no advantage to otherwise healthy birds.

My chicks will be shipped so if I add anything it would be to help them get over any shipping stress.

CV wont do any harm. You will eather see no change or see that it does help your birds. And it really does. I would encourage anyone and everyone to use ACV for their chickens.

I learned the hard way that nutrition does make a life or death difference in chicks, so as long as it is not showing signs of physically harming them, I don't see the problem of adding a fermented probiotic to their drink (ACV) that only adds friendly bacteria to their gut flora, which would reduce the incidence of pasty butt.

Personally, I add Grapefruit Seed Extract or ACV in our chickens water, because we use a 10 gallon water cooler to store the water our chickens drink from and I want to make sure the water stays in an environment that is hostile to growing bacteria/viruses, but adds to the health of our chickens.

I also keep Vi-Tal and Nutri-Drench on hand for any possible emergencies in the future or to give them a boost of electrolytes during the summer heat.

Hope that helps!
smile.png

I have read that each of the following has it's benefits.... ACV, Sugar, Garlic, Electrolytes, and Black Strap Molasses. According to the book "The Chicken Encyclopedia" pg105 you can myo electrolytes by mixing 1/2 tsp salt substitute, 1 tsp Baking soda, 1 tsp table salt, 1 tbsp Sugar and 1 gal water. I suggest this book as it is full of great information.

Here's a discussion on ACV and prevention of coccidiosis: Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

And the benefits of ACV: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=50488&p=1

I have done some research on the internet and found loads of sites mentioning the benefits and after having tried it myself I'm convinced. After I started using it I haven't had a single chick with pasty butt, whereas before it was a big problem by me. I gave some to my older chickens as well. The hens started laying better
thumbsup.gif
Definitely no harm in that!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom