1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what to buy?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mxpres, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I am getting chicks to raise for meat,I don,t now for certian what to buy,they are so many birds to choose from,I know the white leghorn is not a meat bird,I have raised several black broilers for meat,kept the hens and processed the roosters,I was thinking on the buff orpington for a good fryer,the broilers just don,t suit my fancy,they are so many good meat birds its really hard to choose,maybe the rhode island red?barred rocks?wyandottes?any advise will be a great help,as you can see I am lost [​IMG]

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you against Cornish X's? They are the traditional meat bird.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I would find a good dual purpose bird that matures early or moderately early - check Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart and it'll give ya details on a lot of breeds.

4. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I started out with the RR, NH, BR. My neighbors and my WIFE , then ME got sick of the constant crowing starting a 3:00 AM . I was most upset at the long TIME ( same amount of feed, but much LONGER) to get them to a 4-5 carcass size. I found the Cornish X... the rest is HISTORY !!! I now get a wonderful game hen between 1 1/2- 2 pounds in 4 weeks, and a 4-5 pound frier in 6 weeks and if I want a roaster. I butcher them at 8-9 weeks. They are still too young to crow and the best part is, I don't have to feed them for forever to get a sqrawny frier. The even better part is they taste YUUUUUMMMMMYYYYY !!!

5. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Quote:I guess that depends on your definition of "traditional"... [​IMG]

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    They have been the traditional meat bird for over 60 years.... How long do they have to be around to be considered a "traditon". [​IMG]

7. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    after doing some research I think i will go with the delaware for meat birds,i am a bit limited on space and not physically able to care for the cornish cross with the extra work involved,i read that the delaware was an original meat bird before the cornish.thanks for the input from everyone,byc is a goldmine of information for rookies such as myself,a lot of experience and very helpful people means a lot,,keeps the mistakes at a lower level,,thanks again..mxpres:caf

8. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:My Dellie roo has a wonderful personality, also (and he is hatchery stock). I have pullets on order, have yet to see how if they are as nice or not.

meri

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've heard of Red Rangers... do a search on here for them. (still not as good as the Cornish X from what I hear)

10. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I love the Cornish X. They grow so fast that you're done with them by 8 to 10 weeks maximum. I've never had any with leg problems. If you wanted something that grows a little slower you may want to try the red or black broilers, they don't tend to have the problems often associated with CornishX.

As for a Buff Orpington, I am sure they would work very well for meat. There's just one problem. They are SO sweet and friendly I don't know that I could dispatch one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by