What to charge for farm fresh eggs

arsnow

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 28, 2008
Farnsworth, TX
My seven hens are averaging 4-6 eggs a day, and I'm up to my ankles in chicken ova (64 to be precise). I would like to sell the eggs, but what should I charge? My mother managed to sell some at work for $3-3.50 for a carton of 18 eggs. Is this highway robbery or chump change?

Let me know your thoughts.

chickendude

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Dutchess County NY
Locality and demand will dictate what you can charge and receive. I sell mine for $3.00 a dozen. I have heard of people paying $5.00 a dozen if they are closer to a major city. Other people in my area also charge $3.00.

helloroe

Songster
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Cetral FL
I went from $2 to $3 a dozen a few months back when feed began climbing. My customers never blinked. Today I was looking at the Organic eggs at the market and noticed they just jumped from $3 to $4 a dozen. $6 for free range so if feed prices continue to climb I might adjust to $3.50.

Lostbody

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
Oakland, CA
We just started selling, so we're still working things out, but for now it's $5.00 / dozen.
A friend in the city buys 2 dozen / month for $6.00 each (he was paying $8.00 / dozen at the store).
Some of our neighbors get the discount price of $4.00 / dozen.
Luckily, I live in an area where some people value the quality of the chickens' lives over the price of the eggs.

BarefootMom

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Half Way, Missouri
I get $2.00 which according to some people is way too much. Last fall I was getting $1.50 and some people were upset that I raised my price, well feed for the lil buggers is expensive I tell them.

I will trade for other things though and I also will bake things for people if they'd rather do it that way. I have made a few angel food cakes ($5 unfrosted $7 Frosted) and I trade eggs for fresh cow's milk--3 dozen for 2 gallons.
smile.png

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom