What to do about a mean male duck?

One more thing; giving him to someone else is just transferring the problem over to another flock. I had 3 aggressive Pekin drakes that would stalk everyone in the yard. We sent 2 to the smoker, and the 1 remaining calmed greatly. That one that we left was already the calmer one, he didn't magically go from aggressive to calm.

You aren't having a problem with both your drakes being aggressive; you have 1 that is aggressive, and 1 that is fine. I wouldn't count on your aggressive drake being any calmer in another flock.

All the conversation in this thread is true although it may not be for everyone to cull their own we took ours to our vet and then buried on property because they are our pets we are not raising for anything but eggs. I appreciate the truth here and even though it was hard I can tell you our entire farm has been so calm since we got home dinner and penning everyone for bed took minutes rather than hours. I am hoping in the next few days everyone finds their place and we will try to intro Pansy duck to Lilly duck and all will be at harmony in our little kingdom. Thanks for honest supportive advice!

It all comes down to what is best for us in our own situation you did what was best for you and your flock. It was hard but you already see the reward of making the right decision. Be sure to share some pics of your birds we’d love to see them all. :hugs

We just took back our male Cayuga/Black Swedish (along with 2 very loud Pekin Females). He wouldn't share the pools. He bit anyone who got in with him. Outside of the pool, he was bossy but not mean. But, his behavior in the water prevented one of our Muscovy from truly bathing. Our yard is calmer. The pools are busier with floating, calm ducks. They are sleeping in the water. The muscovy that hasn't taken a real bath in a while took one heck of one earlier. Water flying everywhere. She actually JUMPED into the pool. Our backyard is better for his absence. We loved him, but for our flock, he had to rehome. Someone will buy him. He's gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom