What to do about a Mountain Lion? Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya'll bring about a good point too. Cats are generally timid and if there are at least two larger sized dogs they often choose to leave the area. Might be time to get a pair of LGDs. The shepards in Africa are using Anatolians against Cheetahs.

In our area, mountain lions routinely eat dogs. Even large ones. It certainly would help to have two dogs, but even then, I'd still bet on the lion. Anything that can kill a full grown 1000 pound horse is pretty tough.

that's what rottweilers were bred for if I'm not mistaken. Bred to hunt Lions.

Quote:
Actually, rottweilers were bred to herd cattle and pull carts.
wink.png

Rhodesian Ridgebacks were bred to hunt lions, though.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep. The ranch I was working on in Southern NM, had two Great Pyreness. Now, they have 1 1/2. We found the leftovers half buried near one of the water holes, while out checking the windmills. Score one for the cat.
sad.png

O.K. New question. Would a mountain lion given the choice go after a calf over a bird? I mean a runner duck is what, 2and a half bites? Would it prefer something more substantial like a calf? It is calving season here and there are a lot of them. I will have plenty of help. All my family Like to hunt.
We have hunted foxes ect. before. I will be very careful. Hopefully it wont even be back. I just wanted to know if there was any thing I could do to keep it away or a way to trap it. I have a 30 ot 6 I will use if I see it.

Just a guess but I'd say calf over chicken. Its that time of year when there may be babies to feed. Calf would probably be an easier meal anyway as it wouldn't run like a chicken.

I'd do what it took to get rid of it or you'll be losing livestock. You've "set the table" now it knows where the easy meals are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom