What to do about a Mountain Lion? Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houndit PLEASE do not even think of shooting that cougar with a .22 . Unless you are a very good marksman and get an extremely well placed shot the .22 will do nothing but p*** the cat off and make it more dangerous. Yes that cat can clear a 6' fence with no problem and if that ain't enough he/she can do it with something like a goat, small calf, dog or even worse child in it's mouth ! We get them around here and word travels fast when somebody knows there's a cat around. A few years ago one took a deer right in the neighbors pasture where she had her show horses. She called me to "check it out" and the cat dissapeared (if ya know what I mean). It's just like a thief, a dead man tells no tales and a dead cat kills no livestock.

Quote:
30/06 would be a good starting point. Even a 12 guage with 00 buck shot would work at close range. Really close range. A 22 is going to just p*** it off. These guys are tough animals.

Ever since dog hunting for cougars was banned in most states the cougar populations have exploded. (ban was enacted in the last 10 years in most places)
Cougars are VERY territorial. They will not tolerate another cougar in their territory. Most cougar attacks on farms or in/close to towns are young adults that have had to find their own space.
Dog hunting was the only real successful means of controlling the population as they are very wary and difficult to hunt.
The results of the dog hunting ban are now being felt in a lot of areas. YOUR backyard, for one.

Quote:
Actually running from it would be a great thing to do- If you want to die. You can't run from predators- it triggers their instincts to chase and kill you. Especially cats. I wouldn't try trapping it. It's a mountain lion. If it's named for climbing moutains, I'm sure a little fence would do nothing. I would try to call up a professional shot, or someone to relocate it.

LOL...someone dosent get a joke...
roll.png

No usually not, sorry.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom