Fox Everywhere

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
Any advice for fox protection? We haven't gotten our coop started yet. But, we have approximately 5-6 fox that run our property. I called and was told I can't trap/relocate or shoot unless they were causing issues. So, I've been told either to dig around the coop and bury wire to prevent digging, or to run an electric strand nose level around the coop. Which of these options would be better? If electric wire, what brand of charger do you recommend? Solar or plug in?

I would go with both.

You can lay the wire on top of the ground and pin it down with landscape edging pins (1/4" crown and 12" long not the wide ones). I would go 24" wide with the predator apron.

For hot wire I vote for a plug in model. Solar won't work if you get a few days of clouds or the long dark nights.

1/2" hardware cloth on your vents and an apron around the bottom will protect your chickens from foxes and other predators. Adding a couple strands hot wire around everything helps too. Human urine at the entrance of their dens will motivate them to leave.

Any advice for fox protection? We haven't gotten our coop started yet. But, we have approximately 5-6 fox that run our property. I called and was told I can't trap/relocate or shoot unless they were causing issues. So, I've been told either to dig around the coop and bury wire to prevent digging, or to run an electric strand nose level around the coop. Which of these options would be better? If electric wire, what brand of charger do you recommend? Solar or plug in?
I do both. Well I have an electric net for the run and both cattle panel and half inch hardware cloth buried.
I have a lot of foxes.

I use electric wire with a Parmak Solar Fence charger.

1702900128676.png

1702900182975.png

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! We are actually trying to locate the den as well to see exactly where they are coming from. The coop we plan to build will have a roof. I will be ordering the stuff for electric fencing soon. We are hoping to get this coop up before I get big pregnant😅Currently 3 months and I told hubs I need everything functional by February!

kippenhok-vos-veilig.jpg.jpg
In this Belgian ;(Dutch) article is a drawing of a safe run. The article can be translated with google.

https://www.natuurpunt.be/pagina/bescherm-je-kippen-tegen-de-vos

The button - weigeren- means you reject all cookies.

PS: the translation by google:

The work

Stretch a sturdy iron mesh on the outside of the posts
- 1.45mm thick
- mesh size max. 3 x 3 cm
Make your fence at least 180 cm high so that the fox cannot jump over it.
Fold the top 40 cm outwards at an angle of 30°
Equipped with two electric fences on the outside: at the bottom at a height of 20 cm and at the top at a height of 160 cm or
Span the entire run with a sturdy net or (even better) with the same mesh as the fence
Place a row of heavy tiles at least 40 cm wide on the outside of the run so that the fox cannot dig under the wire or
Dig the mesh 50 cm deep at an angle of 45° outwards or straight into the ground.

Other tips

Light up the area where your chickens stay
Keep a dog on your property (fox is very afraid of dogs)
If you do not want a cage or run, you can also leave your animals completely free so that they have more escape options.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom