What to do about chickens eating eggs?!

Eggs have been disappearing! Finally figured out one or more chickens is eating them :( I can't think how I can prevent that other than trying to run out frequently and collect as often as possible...

i had problems with my girls eating eggs and laying in different areas other then the nest box , solved with ceramic eggs that stay in the nest box other then when i clean them about once a week. i also collect twice daily. haven't had an issue yet. but there are many causes for egg eating and you could very well have an egg thief as well ( other animals getting into your nest box) i only mention the ceramic eggs cause i didn't see anyone mention them (might of missed it) and they worked for me. the brand they sell at tractor supply are solid the ones i ordered on amazon were .... cheap and broke right away.

I came to BYC looking for an answer to this very question. I have 5 pullets, 4 of which started laying 2 weeks ago. I went out and found a broken egg in the nesting box, almost eaten. I don't know if the egg break was intentional or accidental but here is what I did after reading suggestions:
  • Put curtains on nesting box
  • Made egg shells free choice
  • Put golf balls back in nesting box
Also, after finding 3 shellless eggs, stopped giving so many treats.

Collected 4 perfect eggs this morning - all in nesting box. So far this seems to be working, fingers crossed. I hope you have good luck with your issues.

I have had the problem with some of my American Dominique hens. What I do is take them out of lay by restricting feed intake. Ideally the feed is offered as a ration and relatively high in protein. After a couples weeks of restricted feeding I step up feed allotments to bring them back into lay. Feed needs to be higher in protein than typical. Most of the time the birds leave the eggs alone.

I have had the problem with some of my American Dominique hens. What I do is take them out of lay by restricting feed intake. Ideally the feed is offered as a ration and relatively high in protein. After a couples weeks of restricted feeding I step up feed allotments to bring them back into lay. Feed needs to be higher in protein than typical. Most of the time the birds leave the eggs alone.
These are birds eating their own eggs?
So do you confine bird while restricting feed?
Do you restrict quantity or nutritive quality of feed?

These are birds eating their own eggs?
So do you confine bird while restricting feed?
Do you restrict quantity or nutritive quality of feed?
My older American Dominique hens are prone to eating eggs about time they slow down each season. During the first half of season the older hens are on 16% protein layer pellets with a little paprika mixed in, like younger hens and games. The restriction in quanity is coupled with switch over to what approximates a flock raiser with about 20% crude protein.

The younger birds are much less probe to eat their own eggs and the game hens generally do not ever.

I am trying to eke out every last hatching egg from the old galls, especially late in the season when incubator and brooder space are not as tight and a different rooster can be used as sire.

Are your nests secure enough that eggs cannot easily be rolled out?
Good to have a 4-6" high(above nest bedding) front on nests.
Can any other animals get into your coop to take eggs from nest?
Snakes are notorious egg stealers.
Chickens eating eggs almost always leaves evidence behind.
Crows are egg stealers are you seeing them fly in and out of there house

I had egg eaters for years, and here are the tips I picked up:
-try to collect eggs several times a day to prevent the habit from starting
-making a "roll-a-way" nest box keeps the eggs out of reach
-What finally stopped them from doing it was when I filled some eggs with mustard and placed them in the boxes. After only a couple mustard eggs were broken, they completely stopped.
Good luck!

When I read this I think WOW how rude can one be. It's called question and answer so "they" can help find a solution. You can't really solve a problem by not knowing more facts. Here is a suggestion to stop the egg eating. Chop chop and chop until it stops. See guaranteed results.
If you were not being condescending in your response please accept my apologies.:idunno
I didn't think Sunnymommy was trying to sound rude at all! When my hens were snacking on their own eggs it was very frustrating. I asked for plenty of suggestions for solutions when I was dealing with the same problem myself, because I was trying many different things until I found what worked in my coop.

Eggs have been disappearing! Finally figured out one or more chickens is eating them :( I can't think how I can prevent that other than trying to run out frequently and collect as often as possible...
Sunny, lots of great suggestions given here! What I tried: filling eggs with mustard (my hens ate the mustard and asked for more), building roll away nest boxes (miserable fail, wish I had taken pics and posted the fails here as it was funny).
What I did try with success: I collected as often as possible, I fed dried powdered eggshell back to my hens (my hens don't like oystershell as much as eggshell), and last but not least, I now leave 2 or 3 ceramic eggs in each nest box. The idea is that the chickens peck the fake eggs, and learn that there is no rewarding yummy goodness from trying, so they stop pecking eggs!
Since I upped their calcium with eggshell, there are very few cracked eggs to attract the behavior.
Other suggestions by other members may help you, too!

Also, I have 1 nest box to every 4 or 5 hens. Boxes are raised above eye level. Hens are fed a good layer ration with plenty of protein.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom