What to do about chickens ruining lawn?

MereBear

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
Rochester, NY
Hey all,

We have a dozen chickens in our flock, we got all of them last spring around this time. We mostly keep them in an enclosed coop and run, but we let them free range around our fenced backyard. We let them out whenever the weather is nice, so they're in the yard quite frequently.

Last Summer we noticed our grass was getting a bit sparse, and by the time Autumn hit, the yard was a total mud pit, with just a few patches of grass here and there. The only thing I can imagine is that it's due to the chickens free ranging. I don't know if if they ate it all, or scratched it up, or their manure burned the grass. Has anyone else had troubles with this? Any suggestions on what to do? As much as I would love to say it 'screw it' to having a lawn and put in a bunch of gardens instead, we're planning on moving in two years and will need the lawn to sell the house.

Should we try to plant grass seed again? Will the chickens eat it before it can take hold? Should we plant something else- maybe clover? My fiance thought we should buy some sod and put that in, but I think it will be too expensive. Really at a loss here, would love any and all advice. Thanks!

I was just wondering if it was the chickens scratching or their hot manure that ruined the greenery......definitely scratching plays the biggest part.

The only way to save your lawn would be to keep them off of it....or provide something like 500 sqft per chicken.(that ridiculously large number comes from a guy who gives his chickens that much space and has lush grass)

The size of the yard relative to the number of chickens might be the determining factor. Mine forage most of the day, without any apparent damage to the yard. But, there are 10 chickens on 30,000 square feet of yard.

If yours is a small yard, keeping the chickens in the run for most of the day might work out better. Let them out for an hour in the evening right before bedtime to allow for some foraging and allow the yard to recover. Then temper the time foraging to keep balance with the condition of the yard.

Chris

I have had similar issues. Birds are presently being excluded from yard proper by moving their living arrangements a couple hundred yards from house. Even in pasture setting they can be hard on vegetation by a combination of grazing, scratching over fertilization. Those issues can be controlled in part by using something like a chicken tractor that enables controlling duration of pressure on plants and allow discrete periods for recovery. I also limit impacts of juvenile flocks by shortening the time available for foraging each day. If latter option is emplyyed, then consider use of sprouted grains prior releasing birds to range. This should at least reduce direct grazing pressure. The forage base will have greater difficulty sustaining a given number of birds when conditions extreme (dry, hot, cold or wet). Restrict birds during such periods.

Back
Top Bottom