What To Do About Shadow? Long, Need Input...(PICS ADDED)

Cyn, here are a few photos of my cochin bantams at 10 weeks.

Chuck
P7100107.jpg

P7100124.jpg

Shirley
P7100128.jpg

Laverne and Fonzi
P7100102.jpg

Squiggy and Fonzi
P7100129b.jpg

Top view of, from L to R... Barred Cochin, sex still not for sure, Sir Knight, Chuck, Shirley, and another Barred Cochin that I'm not sure of the sex... I have 3 and one for sure is a cockerel.
P7100145.jpg

Your little Shadow sure looks more like my Laverne and Shirley Banty's than Chuck and Squiggy!

I have 5 day old Self Blue Cochin Banty's in a brooder right now! I couldn't find a pic of a self blue before I ordered them from Ideal, so seeing Shadow was such a huge delight for me!!!
big_smile.png
I'd love to see photos of Shadow's early days.

Here are a couple of pics I took when my babies were 4 days old! I am hoping I have AT LEAST one pullet and one cockerel!
P8020033.jpg

Top view.
P8020044.jpg

BTW, I vote getting more Bantams, but that's just because I am absolutely addicted to Bantams!!! I have 9 that are almost 14 weeks old (Laverne, Shirley, Chuck, and Squiggy are in that bunch) and 15 babies that are 5 days old! I also have 3 standard's that are 18 weeks old and 8 that are 3 weeks old! My husband couldn't possibly kill me now... who'd take care of all the chickens?
lol.png

~Anne

If Shadow is a BOY - he'd be just as happy with a few big girls...
My bantam roo even gets the job done with the HUGE RIR's - he's a very happy little roo! I have a baby to prove he gets the work done around here. A cross between him (mille fleur d'uccle) and a leghorn lady!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Cyn

I was thinking it looked a bit like a pullet myself, but didnt know Shadow's age. Those bantams sure can fool you.

I hatched one of Wildsky's eggs, and pegged it as a roo within the first week. Was the first to explore an SHE had a red very pronounced comb from about the third day after hatch.

We were unsure about her sex up until about 2 weeks ago.

Also I have a cochin baby, also thought was a boy but is turning into one of my turkeys fave lil girl to guide around! So they do fool you more than the big birds, it seems.

Well, I think we've all decided that Shadow is a pullet! Check out pics under Breeds/Gender section. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=77723
The stringy feathers are possibly the result of the mutation, the lavender gene, I'm told, so not hackle/saddle feathers after all. I was taking quite a chance on the "assorted straight run bantams" bin, but I guess I came out on top of this one, LOL. Thanks for all the input, everyone. Yippee!!mom4morecritters, your bantams are so adorable! Thank you for the pics.

Here are pics of Shadow as a little tyke, not that she's big now, LOL
DCP_0386.jpg

DCP_0388.jpg

DCP_0451.jpg

DCP_0549.jpg

Last edited:
Cyn my flock is not a s large as yours but Cornelius has held his own with no problem, today he mated my giant brahma hen and believe it or not I think that they made contact! My 2 banty hens are the leaders of the pack and they get along fine. I have not had any problems with a mixed flock. If you like her I say keep her. Also if you got little 1/2 DZ egg cartons you could sell the little banty eggs to kids, they love them. My friends daughter gets all my banty eggs because she says that they are just her size.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom