What should I do for Cheddar?

• Put her with the big girls

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Get her a buddy and keep them closer to the house

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Make her a house duck

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
So they're getting along well? Love the pose!
Yes, pretty well. Apple follows Cheddar around and does everything Cheddar does - like an annoying little sister.

It's been 105°+ this week, so I brought these 2 and my 2 Polish inside. I was worried because I don't think they are accustomed to the heat, you know? Folks in my FB group are losing chickens left and right to the heat. Cheddar and Apple can swim together and forage together, but they CANNOT share a brooder together! I had to bring in one for Apple because Cheddar was chasing her all around it. I can't wait to get them back outside. Saturday should be cool enough.

Yes, pretty well. Apple follows Cheddar around and does everything Cheddar does - like an annoying little sister.

It's been 105°+ this week, so I brought these 2 and my 2 Polish inside. I was worried because I don't think they are accustomed to the heat, you know? Folks in my FB group are losing chickens left and right to the heat. Cheddar and Apple can swim together and forage together, but they CANNOT share a brooder together! I had to bring in one for Apple because Cheddar was chasing her all around it. I can't wait to get them back outside. Saturday should be cool enough.
I hope the temps get better soon! I’m glad though that they get along ok!

I hope the temps get better soon! I’m glad though that they get along ok!
Tomorrow is supposed have a high of 90°. Thank goodness.

Now if only the smoke from the Mosquito fire would clear. Or, best yet, the fire is put out.
20220909_083804.jpg

This image is from this morning around 8am. See the sun down there? You can literally taste the air....

Now if only the smoke from the Mosquito fire would clear. Or, best yet, the fire is put out.
View attachment 3254023
This image is from this morning around 8am. See the sun down there? You can literally taste the air....
That’s horrible! I hope it gets put out!! I hope all the animals are doing ok!

View attachment 3254023
Yeah, we are starting to see more smoke around here. I can't entirely complain. The smoke didn't destroy my peaches this year. It has not been nearly as bad this year as last year. I really thought we were going to have a ton more fires with the drought. My soil has been especially dry and hard at times.

Sorry to see the smoke is so bad up there

The girls are getting along well now. Cheddar will occasionally run off Apple when in the pool together, but they love foraging together. I take them out for walks in the front yard for as long as I can in the afternoons. We've been having dinner outside every night now that the temps have dropped and the wind has pushed the smoke east. It's been ideal weather lately, and it looks to stay pleasant for the remainder of Sept. Rain this weekend, though! So excited! I may just sit out on the porch and let the duckies do their thing. The Polish who live with the Call ducks can hang out in their covered run.

I'll try to get pics of everything this weekend. Their coop/run turned out so cute! We have a tarp on the run temporarily. I was going to wait to post pics until we get the roof panels attached, but that might be a couple of weeks out. And the duckie pond we are using isn't complete.

Been a while since I was on BYC. It's time for an update!

I went out tonight for the sole purpose of taking pics of the Crooked Coop. And my dang battery was too low for flash photos. And it was too dark to get good pics. Of course.

Here it is before I put the door on and added all the chicken & duck accoutrement:
20220925_181116.jpg

Here is the fancy part - the roof opens up like a lid so I can access it.
20220925_181207.jpg

Eventually, there will be a 2nd run extending out from the side of the dog house coop. The duck pool will be there.

It's in an interesting spot in our front yard. It's surrounded by pavers, so predators can't dig. The coop has 2 windows and under eaves vents all along both sides. It's nothing fancy - just a box, really. But they seem to like it. There's only about 32 sq ft of run now. That will double once the other side is added.

And they still come out and forage in the yard every afternoon when I get home from work.

Back
Top Bottom